Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to sync music to VLC player

Hi Guys,

I'm new to iOS , i'm not sure whether i can post this kind of queries here or not.

currently i'm using iPhone 5s with iOS version 9.3.2.

i have synced my music files and i'm able to play the music using my default music player.

Now i have installed VLC player and wanted to play all the music files currently available in my device using VLC player.

i tried around and it says to synchronise media to your device using iTunes.

here i'm having a concern , if i start synchronizing will it cost me extra space in my device or it will just link up the files which are already present in my device.

the reason i'm concern is i'm having a 16GB version and its running out of space.

So is there any way that i can sync my music files without loosing any more space from the device.

thanks in advance 🙂

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 15, 2016 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2016 6:40 PM

About File Sharing on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Copy files from your computer to your iOS app

1. Select the app in the list in the file-sharing section in iTunes.
  2. Drag and drop files from a folder or window onto the Documents list to copy them to the app on your device.
  3. Or click Add, find the file or files you want to copy from your computer, and then click Choose. iTunes will copy these files to the app on your device. Choose only files that will work with the app. Check the app's user guide to learn which kinds of files will work.
    User uploaded file

The above description would be the means to transfer and play the music from that app. Yes, it will take up additional storage as the app doesn't reference your music library. You could try the VLC streamer app maybe? That way you could access your library remotely. Or there is also iTunes Match or Apple Music. Both of those pull your entire existing library and tether it to your Apple ID so you can stream your music and take up less physical storage as an option.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

http://www.apple.com/music/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2016 6:40 PM in response to @(hu

About File Sharing on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Copy files from your computer to your iOS app

1. Select the app in the list in the file-sharing section in iTunes.
  2. Drag and drop files from a folder or window onto the Documents list to copy them to the app on your device.
  3. Or click Add, find the file or files you want to copy from your computer, and then click Choose. iTunes will copy these files to the app on your device. Choose only files that will work with the app. Check the app's user guide to learn which kinds of files will work.
    User uploaded file

The above description would be the means to transfer and play the music from that app. Yes, it will take up additional storage as the app doesn't reference your music library. You could try the VLC streamer app maybe? That way you could access your library remotely. Or there is also iTunes Match or Apple Music. Both of those pull your entire existing library and tether it to your Apple ID so you can stream your music and take up less physical storage as an option.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

http://www.apple.com/music/

Jun 15, 2016 6:41 PM in response to @(hu

no.

All the 3rd party music players (including VLC) cannot access the music stored in iTunes.

Only suggestion, if you have more wifi/data than space, VLC works pretty well from cloud services like Dropbox, Google Drive and One Drive.

If you sign up for the freebie accounts, you can get 20 or 25GB total, upload your tunes there and let VLC stream them.

Although I pay for the iTunes match, like you I prefer VLC and use it with the cloud storage free accounts.

Have fun.

how to sync music to VLC player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.