Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth device not showing in Sound -> Output

My bluetooth device (speaker) shows "Connected" in the list of bluetooth devices (in System Preferences -> Bluetooth).

However, I don't see it as an option when I go to System Preferences -> Sound -> Output.

Any thoughts why? This has worked in the past but not at the moment. I haven't tried restarting my machine.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Jun 16, 2016 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 3:16 PM

1. Go to System Preferences, then click Bluetooth.

2. Remove the Bluetooth device in question by clicking the X mark, and pair it again.

The Bluetooth device should appear in the Sound Output Devices list.

3 replies

Jun 17, 2016 1:08 PM in response to JVogue

Howdy JVogue,

It sounds like you are unable to select your paired bluetooth device as an audio output source in your system preferences. I would start by un-pairing your device:

Remove a Bluetooth device from your Mac

If you want to remove (unpair) a Bluetooth device from your Mac's device list, follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth.
  2. Hover the pointer over the device you want to remove, then click the button User uploaded file that appears next to the device's name.

Note: After you remove a Bluetooth device, you'll have to repeat the pairing process if you want to use it again.

From: Using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, or trackpad with your Mac

When that is done, boot to safe mode. This will clear some system level caches and perform a disk check and repair if needed:

Follow these steps to start up into safe mode.

1. Start or restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

After the Apple logo appears, it might take longer than usual to reach the login screen or your desktop. This is because your Mac performs a directory check of your startup disk as part of safe mode.

To leave safe mode, restart your computer without pressing any keys during startup.

From: Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

Once you log into safe mode, that's all you need to do there, so restart your computer as normal using Apple > Restart. Then pair the device again and verify you can select it as an output. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, all the best!

Bluetooth device not showing in Sound -> Output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.