Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay Declined

I am having trouble with Apple Pay today. I've never had trouble before, it has always worked flawlessly. Today, at a RiteAid store that I always use Apple Pay at, I tried and it said the card was declined. So I tried a second time and it was also declined. The third time, I tried a different card in Apple Pay and that worked just fine. So I thought there might be something wrong with the first card I was trying.

Then I went to a different store that did not have Apple Pay and I used the physical card that was declined in Apple Pay. No problems charge went through.

Then I went to Whole Foods, where I also use Apple Pay all the time and have many times with this card. When I tried to use it with the card, it was declined. So then I used the physical card and it went through no problem.

So, it does not seem to be the card itself, I can use the card in stores. But then Apple Pay seems to be working fine with a different card as it did at RiteAid. It just doesn't seem to want to work with one of my cards which is Citizens Bank Mastercard. This card has always worked within Apple Pay with no problems. Any ideas of what could suddenly cause this card to not work in Apple Pay?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 16, 2016 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2017 11:31 AM

After 2 embarrassing situations when I had thousands in my account and a twenty dollar charge was declined, I removed all methods from Apple pay and will NEVER use it again. It is clearly not ready for prime time just like Apple Home. This is sad.

10 replies

Feb 5, 2017 9:27 AM in response to Scott Raymond

I have had the same issues as well. It seems ever since places activated the chip reader on their terminals the Apple Pay problems surfaced. Rite-Aid is one of them. Using Apple Pay the terminal will chime, ask for my pin, then will say "Declined". When I contact the bank issuing the card (Huntington) they said the transaction never hit their system so the problem must be with the merchant. Rite-Aid admitted that they are aware of the problem and the terminals at my location has a sticker on them that says "Debit cards must me swiped", my chase credit card works fine though. A grocery store near me has the same problem...since they activated the chip reader Apple Pay no longer works. At some merchants with a chip reader you must select "Credit" instead of "Debit" for Apple Pay to work. Also the same thing happens if I try to use my Apple Watch to pay so it is not a hardware problem. Hopefully these issues will be resolved because I love the ease and security of Apple Pay.

Jun 16, 2016 11:32 AM in response to Scott Raymond

Hi Scott

You may wish to report each of your failed payment attempts to Apple here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-pay.html

The feedback form enables you to report issues with specific merchants, transactions and payment cards.

If you contact your bank, they may be able to advise whether the payment attempts reached their system and, if so, why they were declined.

Apple Pay Declined

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.