Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone used my depit card with Apple Pay

I got a call yesterday from my Bank and they stated if I used my debit credit card for 2 purchases at Wal Mart. They used Apple Pay to pay my question is how could they put my card info on Apple Pay. I don't have an account with Apple Pay but can can anyone put any card on Apple Pay and does Apple Pay cover the charges.

Thanks

Fro any comments

Posted on Jun 17, 2016 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2016 10:11 AM

Hi

When someone requests to add a payment card to Apple Pay on a device, Apple sends that request, along with certain information (including about the device), to the card issuer.

The card issuer then decides whether or not to approve adding the card. An issuer may choose to authenticate the cardholder's identity before approving the request, but it is up to them whether and how they do this. Methods may include, for example, sending a verification code via text message to a phone number that the issuer has on file for you.

Whether or not the issuer chooses to authenticate your identity, a card cannot be added to Apple Pay without the bank approving the request.

This issue is therefore between you and your bank. You may wish to ask your bank what security checks, if any, they carried out when approving the addition of your card to the device that was used for making the payments.

You may also wish to follow the steps suggested here, in case your Apple ID has been compromised:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2016 10:11 AM in response to delone1120

Hi

When someone requests to add a payment card to Apple Pay on a device, Apple sends that request, along with certain information (including about the device), to the card issuer.

The card issuer then decides whether or not to approve adding the card. An issuer may choose to authenticate the cardholder's identity before approving the request, but it is up to them whether and how they do this. Methods may include, for example, sending a verification code via text message to a phone number that the issuer has on file for you.

Whether or not the issuer chooses to authenticate your identity, a card cannot be added to Apple Pay without the bank approving the request.

This issue is therefore between you and your bank. You may wish to ask your bank what security checks, if any, they carried out when approving the addition of your card to the device that was used for making the payments.

You may also wish to follow the steps suggested here, in case your Apple ID has been compromised:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Jun 19, 2016 9:16 AM in response to delone1120

It probably wasn't your bank. Did they ask you for account details to confirm that you were you? If so then you've handed access to your account to somebody else. Contact your bank directly and discuss it with them.

Setting up Apple Pay with a debit or credit card requires that you run through a security process with your bank or card issuer. Even if somebody had your debit or credit card number they would not be able to set up a fake Apple Pay account to run with it. Likewise only your registered Apple Pay devices can be used to make payments on your accounts.

tt2

Someone used my depit card with Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.