Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV error 0033 "Not authorized for content"

I have an AppleTV 4, iMac, and a DirecTV subscription. On most apps that require a TV subscription, it will not authorize on either machine. It will always give me the same error message "0033: not authorized for content requested." When I try to activate the AppleTV with the iMac the pop-up dialogue box that is supposed to ask for my login credentials will quickly appear and disappear without giving me the chance to enter my login information and will give me a "success" message while my AppleTV will give me the error 0033. I have talked to DirecTV tech support and they tell me that everything is fine with my subscription and have reset my streaming permissions more than once. Has anyone else had this issue? What can be done to resolve it? It is very frustrating and I feel as if I have wasted $150 on a streaming device that does not work.

Apple TV, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jun 17, 2016 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2017 10:04 PM

Some users may be experiencing this still and I found a solution if a 4th Gen Apple TV gives the error "Unable to Authenticate" or "Unable to Receive Authentication for this Content." This happened with me today on all TV subscription linked services even though I had just used it yesterday. HBO Go, FX, ABC, etc.

TO FIX:

Double tap "TV" on Siri Remote and swipe up any open apps, this will close them

Settings> Accounts>TV Provider

Toggle the Apps from "Always" to "Never"

Relaunch the app where the issue had occurred

Restart the activation process with your TV provider credentials

Voila

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2017 10:04 PM in response to aryn505

Some users may be experiencing this still and I found a solution if a 4th Gen Apple TV gives the error "Unable to Authenticate" or "Unable to Receive Authentication for this Content." This happened with me today on all TV subscription linked services even though I had just used it yesterday. HBO Go, FX, ABC, etc.

TO FIX:

Double tap "TV" on Siri Remote and swipe up any open apps, this will close them

Settings> Accounts>TV Provider

Toggle the Apps from "Always" to "Never"

Relaunch the app where the issue had occurred

Restart the activation process with your TV provider credentials

Voila

Jun 17, 2016 9:59 AM in response to aryn505

Have you seen this https://forums.att.com/t5/Error-Messages/Unable-to-activate-shows-on-Apple-TV-bc -of-Directv-activation/td-p/4797060?

There are several other threads in this forum discussing this problem with DirecTV. And this really is a DirecTV/ATT problem, since it seems like they haven't bothered to update streaming access consistent with the new ownership. It's probably not their top priority, after all.

Oct 18, 2016 3:28 PM in response to aryn505

Was there formerly a Directv account that was associated with your modem's IP address? There is speculation that Directv is blocking certain IP addresses, maybe those where the service has been cancelled. Try disconnecting your phone from wifi and verifying via the cell connection to the internet. You will have to sign out of the app and sign back in before doing this. Worked for me after nothing else did.

AppleTV error 0033 "Not authorized for content"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.