Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop from Mac to iPhone not working

HI,

AIrDrop was working without problem for some time. But now I'm no longer able to transfer photos from my Mac to my iPhone or iPad. They just do not appear in the AirDrop view in Finder. However, the other way round works perfectly. The Mac appears on both devices as AirDrop target and receives files.

i turned wifi and Bluetooth off and on, restarted my Mac and iDevcies. I even tried to sign out and in again to iCloud. Nothing helped.

Aby suggestion would be appreciated to get this working again!

Posted on Jun 19, 2016 6:04 PM

4 replies

Jun 25, 2016 2:04 PM in response to kra_ste

Problem solved! AirDrop does not work, if there are Contact cards that only have an email address but no name set and the email matches one of my iCloud email addresses. It seems that OSX tries to identify my devices using my Apple ID, but when it looks in the Contacts for who am I, it fails when the name is missing.

As soon as I deleted this "strange" contact card, my devices showed up immediately in AirDrop on my MBP.

Of course, I did not create such Contact cards myself. But the sync with my Office 365 Exchange account brings up a lot of these strange contact cards. OSX syncs the "recently mailed" list, which is hidden on the Exchange server. So even when I delete these contact cards, they start coming back as soon as I email them. Including my own email address.

AirDrop from Mac to iPhone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.