Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation and Siri voice pickup lags; cannot setup hey siri

I need some help with my iPhone 6s. Dictation's now a nightmare. The sound wave bar will not move for a few seconds after initializing dictation. It takes several seconds of talking into the mic before it recognizes any sound, then it picks up and records.

Siri does the same thing. It takes several seconds or longer for the mic to recognize there is sound, but eventually it does. I Cannot set up Hey Siri anymore because the bar doesn't move at all. It picks up no sound.

As a test I recorded front facing video, back facing video, and recorded voice memos. All three produced sound right from the start, no issues.

DIctation used to work just fine. I don't understand what the problem is.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 20, 2016 12:36 PM

3 replies

Jun 20, 2016 12:43 PM in response to lakija

Hi,

Restart your iPhone then try setting up Hey Siri again.

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off.
  3. After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo.

Then turn "Hey Siri" on or off and personalize the feature

To ask questions without pressing the Home button, plug your device into power and turn on "Hey Siri.” With iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, and iPad Pro (9.7-inch) you can use this feature without plugging into power.

1. Go to Settings > General > Siri.
  2. Turn on Allow "Hey Siri."
  3. In iOS 9 or later, follow the onscreen prompts to make your voice more recognizable for "Hey Siri."* This lowers the chance that other people will accidentally activate Siri on your device.

You can turn off "Hey Siri" in Settings > General > Siri. If you have an iPhone with iOS 9 or later, you can also temporarily disable "Hey Siri" by setting your device face down.

Use Siri on your iPhone

Jun 20, 2016 1:28 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I've just done all that again. No change in behavior, but I discovered one thing.

I Was using chrome to read this post. I switched over to settings, and tried setting up Hey Siri. It didn't work. I switched over to Chrome again to read the post for a moment. Then I switched back to Hey Siri setup, which was still open, and it started picking up audio then. I Set up hey Siri and everything. But saying Hey Siri does not activate Siri regardless.

So I replicated the procedure. I started Hey Siri setup, switched to Chrome, and back while setup was running and it picked up audio. But hey Siri still doesn't work. And dictation is still delayed by a few seconds and so Siri

Dictation and Siri voice pickup lags; cannot setup hey siri

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.