Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm moving from Android to iPhone, but Move to iOS is taking hours! Is this normal?

Hi, the iPhone 6S has transferred files from my Android phone, however it now has said moving items into place for over two hours now...is this normal? Also note that the images from my Android was about 7GB.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.2, Move to iOS

Posted on Jun 20, 2016 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2017 3:22 PM

Hi.

I also had this problem, but just give it time. Eventually it works, but it took 11 hours!

Originally I was trying to also copy photos etc, but gave up.

When I selected just google account and text messages but not photos it was about 1.2GB.

The phone (iphone6s) looked like it was stuck at 'moving items into place', but eventually, after about 10 or 11 hours it said 'complete'.

So....it would be really good if apple could advise on the iphone (or on the android app) that this process may take a long time (12-24 hours). Because lots of people think it is stuck, but it is actually really slow.

I could tell that something was happening because the phone was using quite a lot of battery during this time.

I would advise leaving your iphone connected to a charger while you are doing this, otherwise it might go flat after about 12-14 hours.

Bottom line....STICK WITH IT. Wait it out. Be patient.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2017 3:22 PM in response to bshawb

Hi.

I also had this problem, but just give it time. Eventually it works, but it took 11 hours!

Originally I was trying to also copy photos etc, but gave up.

When I selected just google account and text messages but not photos it was about 1.2GB.

The phone (iphone6s) looked like it was stuck at 'moving items into place', but eventually, after about 10 or 11 hours it said 'complete'.

So....it would be really good if apple could advise on the iphone (or on the android app) that this process may take a long time (12-24 hours). Because lots of people think it is stuck, but it is actually really slow.

I could tell that something was happening because the phone was using quite a lot of battery during this time.

I would advise leaving your iphone connected to a charger while you are doing this, otherwise it might go flat after about 12-14 hours.

Bottom line....STICK WITH IT. Wait it out. Be patient.

Jan 15, 2017 9:54 PM in response to bshawb

I'm running into this as well with moving from a Nexus 6 (64GB) to an iPhone 6s (128GB). On my first attempt I told the program to move everything: Contacts (100KB), Messages (1.1GB), Photos/Camera Roll (6.5GB). The transfer was marked as completed on the Nexus but the iPhone seemed to stop on "moving items into place" even after 16 hours. I finally gave up, rebooted the iPhone, and found that some messages had been moved over.

On my second attempt I selected only Contacts and Messages but it's now been 24 hours and the iPhone still seems stuck on "moving items into place". Going to let it run overnight but I'm not hopeful ....

Jan 17, 2017 7:31 PM in response to atxnomad

It finally worked for me but only after I deleted a bunch of text messages, cutting the size down from 1.1GB to approximately 500MB. Started the move sometime in the afternoon and it was still running when I went to bed but I found it had completed in the morning. It's not the time it took that bothers me but the lack of any indication from the software that anything is still going on.

So for the OP, 7GB of transfers would probably take several days.

I'm moving from Android to iPhone, but Move to iOS is taking hours! Is this normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.