Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why would store request pin when using Apple Pay?

I'm using iPhone 6 with 64GB, with 27.8 MB available, with iOS 9.3.2

I've been pleased up until today to be able to use Apple Pay at Walgreen's drug stores.

Today Apple Pay (or something) required me to enter my pin for the debit card I have always used.

What caused this? It doesn't match my original understanding of the whole purpose of Apple Pay ("just touch and go!")

I've read Apple Support article that this CAN happen, but it never has before.

Has Walgreen's changed something about its Apple Pay process? Could Walgreen's explain that?

Has my bank changed something? Could my bank explain that?

Has Apple changed something? Could Apple explain that?

How does the consumer learn this info? I do not have time to investigate with three different companies, nor should I have to.

Am I being unreasonable? Could someone explain how?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 21, 2016 5:57 PM

5 replies

Jun 21, 2016 11:47 PM in response to whsiii

Hi

When paying in a store in the US using your debit card via Apple Pay, you may be prompted to choose Credit or Debit on the terminal.

If so, Apple recommends that you always choose Credit (even though the selected card is a debit card).

Choosing Debit may not always work successfully with some older merchant payment terminals and backend systems.

Jun 22, 2016 12:08 PM in response to whsiii

Hi,

Walgreen's stores are asking for the PIN for a debit card nation wide. If you can, use a credit card instead for Apple Pay > Setup Apple Pay

It's not your bank.

Others have posted here in the communities about the same issue so if you would take a moment and send feedback to Apple here. The more feedback they receive the better.

You can also mention this directly to Apple on Twitter: @AppleSupport

Jun 22, 2016 1:25 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for your answer and it did clear up my confusion.

I have sent feedback to Apple as you suggested.

It disappoints me that a store can impose unwelcome requirements on the consumer. It makes Apple Pay more complicated and worrisome than we hoped for.

Please consider that "Just use a credit card instead" is not a good answer for everyone. And it's also not what we hoped Apple Pay would be.

Jun 22, 2016 1:38 PM in response to whsiii

"Please consider that "Just use a credit card instead" is not a good answer for everyone. And it's also not what we hoped Apple Pay would be.:"

It's just a suggestion.

Please keep in mind, Apple Pay has only been in existence for several years. It's going to take time to iron out the problems. That's why it's so important to provide feedback.

Why would store request pin when using Apple Pay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.