Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UAD plugin questions

I'm thinking of getting the Universal Audio UAD-1 plugin system for my G5 dual 2.0.
I've read the forum on various issues relating to latency and compatibility, etc. Thanks everyone for that.

My question now is:
Is the UAD-1 the best for Logic Pro 7 users?
By best, I mean, in terms of sound quality, least latency, reliability, and cost.
If anyone can heartily recommend the UAD-1 and why, I'd love to hear all about it.
If anyone has had success with the other competitors; TC Electronics, Waves, Focusrite, etc., I'd love to hear all about those, too.

And, I noticed someone said that Sound Designer is just as good as Dreamverb. Does anyone know how to compare the various plugins from UA to Logic's built ins? In other words, is the $1200 really worth it?

I do mostly electric guitar (thd bivalve tube amp - tone tubby hempcone speaker) and electronika chill ambient.

And, finally, how do you go about figuring out which package to get? and which plugins to add? Which is the most economical? From the rather confusing ad copy I've seen, it appears the $1200 "Ultra" is the best deal.

Thanks for your ideas on all of this.

Peace
Johan Carlisle

G5 Dual 2.0 Mac OS X (10.4.6) 2 GB RAM * Logic Pro 7.20 * RME Fireface 800

Posted on Dec 5, 2006 8:24 AM

2 replies

Dec 5, 2006 9:25 AM in response to Johan Carlisle

Well...

By best, I mean, in terms of sound quality, least latency, reliability,
and cost.

You're using the wrong defintion of "best". Those are all important factors, but the "best" is "what's right for your needs."

My system is very close to yours - Dual 2.0 G5, Fireface 800, Logic. I have a UAD-1, SSL Duende and Waves Gold, as well as a bunch of other stuff. None of them is "the best" - they are all different.

(For what it's worth, the UAD-1 is absolutely rock-solid on my system, although if I push it up beyond about 70% CPU capacity it starts getting into a bus-choking match with the Duende, but that's another story)

Specifically in terms of latency, because the UAD (and Duende, Liquid Mix, PowerCore etc.) are not native, latency will be doubled. If you use them as intended (ie. when mixing, NOT tracking), Logic's PDC takes care of latency issues and it becomes pretty much irrelevant.

UAD does vintage gear emulation very well (IMHO). The Waves plugs are unbeatable for workhorse limiting and EQ and field tweaking. The Duende is for the SSL sound - 'nuff said. All great. And all for different purposes.

And, I noticed someone said that Sound Designer is just as
good as Dreamverb

Space Designer? Well, yes, I love Space Designer. I also love Dreamverb. But again, very different beasts.

In other words, is the $1200 really worth it?

You could always get the base model (project pak?) with the $500 voucher and pick your own. The $1200 that comes with everything is undoubtedly the best value (although you don't get what is arguably the best plugin of the bunch - the Roland Space Echo emulation). It really depends what you need.

You really can get great results with Logic's built in plugs if you know what to do with them, and you should make sure that you've fully outgrown them before investing in some replacements. If you have reached that point, then I would venture to say you can't go wrong with the UAD - it really is an excellent bit of kit, and actually very fun to use since the interfaces are also replicas of the vintage gear that is being emulated. But (as with any plugin) how you use it is at least as important as "how it sounds".

Hope that helps! 🙂

Miles

G5 Dual 2.0 Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Dec 5, 2006 9:31 AM in response to Johan Carlisle

I'm thinking of getting the Universal Audio UAD-1
plugin system for my G5 dual 2.0.
I've read the forum on various issues relating to
latency and compatibility, etc. Thanks everyone for
that.

My question now is:
By best, I mean, in terms of sound quality, least
latency, reliability, and cost.
If anyone can heartily recommend the UAD-1 and why,
I'd love to hear all about it.
If anyone has had success with the other competitors;
TC Electronics, Waves, Focusrite, etc., I'd love to
hear all about those, too.

And, I noticed someone said that Sound Designer is
just as good as Dreamverb. Does anyone know how to
compare the various plugins from UA to Logic's built
ins? In other words, is the $1200 really worth it?

I do mostly electric guitar (thd bivalve tube amp -
tone tubby hempcone speaker) and electronika chill
ambient.

And, finally, how do you go about figuring out which
package to get? and which plugins to add? Which is
the most economical? From the rather confusing ad
copy I've seen, it appears the $1200 "Ultra" is the
best deal.

Thanks for your ideas on all of this.

Peace
Johan Carlisle

G5 Dual
2.0 Mac OS X (10.4.6) 2 GB RAM * Logic
Pro 7.20 * RME Fireface 800

I have 2 UD-1 cards with most of the plug-ins.

1. Their sound ovreall is IMHO as good or better than any other native (non-TDM) available.

2. Latency is an issue because of Logic's poorly implemented PDC so mostly you will want to add them at the mix stage. If you are a "I mix as I go" guy you will be less happy.

3. As for specific plug-ins it is a matter of taste. I cannot speak to how well any of these work for the kind of music you are doing as it is not music that I am knowledgable about.

For me:

1. The only 2 I do not like are Dreamverb and Cambridge. Logic's Space Designer (not Sound Designer) is better sounding IMHO and the Cambridge EQ is very harsh in the upper frequencies. But many love its filters so horses for courses.

2. Must haves are LA2a, 1176, Pultec, Precision Limiter and Neve 1073.

3. Then, in no particular order, are the Fairchild, Plate 140 (gorgeous), Roland Space Echo, either Roland CE1 Chorus or Dimension D, whichever Neves you didn't buy before, Precision EQ and Pultec Pro.

4. The Precision Multiband is a good multiband buit unless you are mastering you probably don't need it.

UAD plugin questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.