Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mDP to HDMI 2.0 Adapters

Hello all -

My experiences with using (3) different mDP to HDMI 2.0 adapters:

MY LAPTOP:

2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, R9 M370X

O/S:

Mac OS X El Capitan, latest version as of June 2016.

Windows 10 Pro (via Bootcamp), latest versions as of June 2016.

SOFTWARE:

SwitchResX(Mac only)

4K TV:

LG 43UH6100

HDMI cables utilized are (generic) High Speed w/Ethernet; purchased at the same time as the TV; which was about 3 weeks ago.

Adapters used:

1. Uptab Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0A Active Adapter

2. Accell Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter

3. Club Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter

My findings:

MAC OS X:

All the adapters listed above work as they advertised ... albeit with the SwitchResX app of course. (Great app by the way.) The TV displays at UHD (3840 x 2160) @ 60Hz with the exact same response time in moving the mouse, typing, etc..., no lag whatsoever. Just the way it should be.

WINDOWS 10 PRO (via Bootcamp)

This wasn't so good. The only resolution that I could get to run @ 60Hz was 1920 x 1080. The UHD modes listed for the R9 M370X GPU were all at either 30Hz or 24Hz. It even listed a 4096 x 2160 mode but only at 24Hz. Running 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz was OK ... but not acceptable for me. I noticed input lag; albeit not as bad as running at 24Hz.

So I don't know if I am doing something wrong or it's just the R9 with Bootcamp drivers being the issue. Strange.

One thing I do notice is that the AMD Radeon Settings panel shows that there is an update to install. Thought that may do the trick ... but when I try to update / install it, it states that it can't find a driver. I Googled this and saw that some people found a way to override and do a force install to get it to install and work. But they did have a few small issues like the Brightness buttons no longer functioning and some other things that I don't remember.

Well that's my experiences. Don't know if anybody else has this issue ... but if you do, please let me know if there is something I missed in my setup / config. and I'll try again.

Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), 2.8ghz/16gb RAM/512gb SSD/AMD M370X

Posted on Jun 22, 2016 7:51 PM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2016 11:35 AM in response to Shaluda

Thanks for sharing your experience, very helpful. Not too much info out there on this kind of thing! Do you know if it works with HDR video content? I'm trying to figure out how to play 4K or UHD HEVC HDR content from my mbp to my LG smart TV. AFAIK HDR requires HDMI 2.0A which is supported by the uptab adapter; just not sure if the output from the mbp supports hdr. Naturally one would need an HDMI 2.0A cable as well I presume. Please let me know your thoughts

mDP to HDMI 2.0 Adapters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.