Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Window ScreenShot Problem

Using Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), I get an endlessly spinning beach ball if I do the following:

• Sleep (in order to get the login screen)
  • Press [Ctrl]+[Cmd]+[4] a few times in a row, then
  • [Ctrl]+[Cmd]+[3] a few times in a row, then again
  • [Ctrl]+[Cmd]+[4] a few times in a row.

As far as I see, [Ctrl]+[Cmd]+[4] is supposed to take a partial screen shot of the login screen (LWScreenShot ....png in the Desktop folder). And that works, if I press that key combination just once. But it crashes if I do it multiple times. I guess this is not reentrant.

One of my co-workers could reproduce the problem on his computer (same model, same OS). It is not reproducible on an older version of Mac OS X.

To resolve the issue, I have to do a power cycle.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jun 24, 2016 6:28 AM

18 replies

Jun 24, 2016 7:19 AM in response to dialabrain

The key combinations in the login window are not the same for Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5. The key combinations you posted are correct if already logged in. However, in the login window with that version of Mac OS X, in order to get a screenshot (saved to the Desktop directory), you have to press [Ctrl]+[Cmd]+[3], not [Shift]+[Cmd]+[3]. And to do a partial screen shot, use [4] instead of [3]. I don't think there is a way to send to clipboard (well I didn't try that).

As I wrote, with a different version of Mac OS X, the problem is not reproducible. And I think the key combinations are different.

Jun 24, 2016 7:37 AM in response to dialabrain

Yes I have the same settings. However, those are just used if already logged in. (I assume each user could have a different shortcuts). Even if I disable or change those shortcuts, I can get a screen shot in the login window, using [Ctrl]+[Cmd]+[3]. I don't think there is any way to disable or change the shortcuts for the login window. I guess the keyboard shortcuts are hardwired in the login window.

Login Window ScreenShot Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.