Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume control for multiple output devices. Speakers and/or headset

My work has changed over to VOIP phones now. Getting Audio out from more than 1 Device is not working properly.

Here is what I have learned so far:

To get Volume from the Headset, you need to select the headset from PREF>Sound>OUTPUT and INPUT and select Headset name. But doing this kills the sound from the speakers.

If you want to watch/listen to something you want your speakers/headphones, but if someone calls you would have to go to settings to switch to the Headset.

This is an Obviously Problem.

[BANDAID SOLUTION]

1. Open "AUDIO MIDI Setup" from /UTILITIES
  2. Click + (Add) at the bottom
  3. Choose Multi Output Device or Aggregate Device (Output ONLY device / Output and Input devices) - In my case, only the Multi Output Device works—Partially, I'll explain in a moment.
  4. Check off your Line Out (should be your Speakers / Headphone)
  5. Check off your Headset
  6. [WARNING] - Next step you may want the headphones off your head
  7. Go to "System Preferences" > Sound > Output > select Multi Output device
  8. Go to "System Preferences" > Sound > Input > select headset device (this is your Mic)

As mentioned, this is a Bandaid / Partial solution. You'll now note that your Volume controls no longer work. The Volume is set to MAX and you'll ONLY be able to change the volume on your earpiece, and if your desktop speakers have a volume knob, there too. But the volume control is now dead.

What's really funny is that our SMART Phones are Smarter than our computers. If you're listening to music, it's smart enough to turn off the music an answer phone, Why can't a Computer figure this out?

VOIP is OLD news these days, I'm surprised a decade later this problem still exists!

Has anyone Solved this yet?

3.2 GHz Quad-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 24 GB 1066 DDR3 ECC

Posted on Jun 24, 2016 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2017 6:23 AM

It is mind boggling / aggravating that Apple can't / won't figure this out.

Thankfully for me, I've moved on from the stupid headset that I had to use. so for now I'm unaffected.

What I can say though, is that if the customer service team at my work was on Mac's, the IT team would have likely switched to PC because everyone there now uses headsets.

What makes me shake my head is how Apple over looks things. Case in point, no docking station for people that work at the same desk everyday. (like 90% of the workforce.) they need this now more than ever, and yet they leave that up to third parties.

Whatever Rant over.

best of luck, be sure to send apple you suggest in the feedback box (apparently they read those)... not that I've ever seen any evidence.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2017 6:23 AM in response to compojoom

It is mind boggling / aggravating that Apple can't / won't figure this out.

Thankfully for me, I've moved on from the stupid headset that I had to use. so for now I'm unaffected.

What I can say though, is that if the customer service team at my work was on Mac's, the IT team would have likely switched to PC because everyone there now uses headsets.

What makes me shake my head is how Apple over looks things. Case in point, no docking station for people that work at the same desk everyday. (like 90% of the workforce.) they need this now more than ever, and yet they leave that up to third parties.

Whatever Rant over.

best of luck, be sure to send apple you suggest in the feedback box (apparently they read those)... not that I've ever seen any evidence.

Jun 22, 2017 2:45 AM in response to Aero Windwalker

@Aero Windwalker - do you have a tutorial on how to do this with sound Flower? I tried and I tried and I couldn't figure it out.

As fare Audio Mate is concerned - I'm 100% sure that you can't do this:

Volume control for Multi-Output Device · Issue #24 · rnine/AudioMate · GitHub

I have no idea what the technical limitations are and why apple is not allowing us to control multi-output devices, but this is something that is actually necessary. If you are listening to music - depending on the music it might be too loud or too quiet... From an end user perspective I'm just mind blown that whoever added the multi-output feature thought that controlling the volume isn't necessary...

Volume control for multiple output devices. Speakers and/or headset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.