Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud email without using the iCloud

I just created a new iCloud email address. However, I would prefer not to use the iCloud to upload/download messages. When I disable 'Mail' in System Preferences - iCloud, my new email mailbox goes away. I saw this page: iCloud: Mail server settings for email clients - Apple Support and suspect the answer may lie in setting up the mail server settings by hand (Mail - Preferences - Accounts). Is this the correct approach, or is there another way? I am running Yosemite on an iMac. Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jun 24, 2016 5:40 PM

5 replies

Jun 24, 2016 9:41 PM in response to newlatrobe

The correct approach is to either leave iCloud and perhaps only Mail active in Preferences, OR add the iCloud mail account by hand.

Enabling Mail in the iCloud preferences is a convenience. This is automatically setup for servers, ports etc. If you leave iCloud totally OFF, you can add the Mail portion manually to most clients using those directions.

But why?

There is no need to use "the iCloud" to use mail.

iCloud email without using the iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.