Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Apple Pay participating banks in Canada, Latin America, and the United States

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use a prepaid card with Apple Pay?

I've seen that only 2 prepaid card brands are compatible with Apple Pay, however that list was from

when Apple Pay first came out so I wasn't sure if there were more prepaid card brands that are now compatible.

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 25, 2016 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2017 9:27 PM

So I noticed that among the list is The Bancorp Bank which is the bank that is the NetSpend card but yet its not supported by Apple Pay????

How is it not supported yet the bank that runs the card is among that list of supported banks???

5 replies

Mar 8, 2017 3:06 AM in response to Gotawittynamehere

Gotawittynamehere wrote:

So I noticed that among the list is The Bancorp Bank which is the bank that is the NetSpend card but yet its not supported by Apple Pay????

How is it not supported yet the bank that runs the card is among that list of supported banks???

The fact that a bank is a participating issuer for Apple Pay does not mean that all cards issued by that bank are supported for Apple Pay.

The decision regarding which cards are supported rests with each participating bank.

Jun 26, 2016 12:14 AM in response to mikaylaflynn

Hi

Some prepaid cards from some issuers are supported. In the US, for example, these presently include the Chase Liquid® prepaid card and prepaid cards from Wells Fargo.

In order to use Apple Pay, your card must be a supported card from a participating issuer. However, not all cards that are issued by any given participating bank are necessarily supported for use with Apple Pay.

Apple does not publish a list of supported cards (whether prepaid or not).

To find out whether any particular prepaid card is supported for Apple Pay, you can either:

- Contact the card issuer / bank and/or check their website;

- Try adding the card (you will be advised if it cannot be added).

More information:

Apple Pay participating banks - Apple Support

Set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Sep 3, 2016 9:04 AM in response to mikaylaflynn

There are two cards I know that definitely work and one of them is a pretty awesome option if you're not needing multiple users on one account.

The first one is Simple (https://www.simple.com/) - This card is a very great option which has lots of great features built in; not only does it work with Apple Pay, but it also is a chip card for added security.

The second option is Akimbo (https://akimbocard.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3p1Eh5LQyzU9pl vXL5Q2pUAcwfbGIUWEo7QzC02kmlsaAou78P8HAQ) - This card has extremely long release of holds which I find to be very annoying (i.e. $25 Lyft temp authorization takes over 7 days to fall off from the account.) I'd suggest going with Simple.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there are more at this point, but these are the two that I have had experience with. Apple Pay works flawlessly on both.

Thanks!

Can you use a prepaid card with Apple Pay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.