Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to search for artist in iTunes Store app

I only search for artists, and never for anything else. Never for a specific song, never for non music. seems Artist is the most obvious way to search for music. I'm I missing something?

Where is "search by artist"??????

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Jun 27, 2016 9:17 AM

10 replies

Jun 27, 2016 9:51 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

False. When searching for music a user wants to see relevant information. Which obviously includes albums. But when I search for a musician ***** I expect results for this musician, and possiblly other unrelated crap. My options at this point are to look for books, albums, songs, etc. Heres an obvious example: Radiohead, if the search is for radiohead I am NOT looking for albums titled Radiohead, I just want to drill down to only relevant things.

Is the only way to do this to click on an album then click on the artist?? What if the musician has a very simple name? Then the onlt way to search for this artists' discography is to dig really hard in all the unrelated stuff, or perhaps searc for an album title if I know it.

So, i ask again, is it possible to search by Artist? And how can I find this search tool)

Jun 27, 2016 10:21 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

You clearly did not spend much time in record stores and/or only listen to top 40 music that propitiates to the top of the list. Try searching for something uncommon, or with a simple name. It is a problem, but maybe not for you.

Seriously though, if the answer is "No", dony say "Yes" and try to explain away the poor UX by saying "just type into the big search bar, I don't see the problem"

Jun 27, 2016 12:24 PM in response to Ahab the Eskimo

I have probably spent far more time than you have in record stores - considering I have worked in half a dozen over the years and manged one, as well as time recording studios and radio stations. And yes I have, MANY times, searched for obscure artist. And no I haven't had any difficulty finding what I am looking for, assuming it is available in iTunes.

I'm still not clear what exactly it is you are expecting (or rather wanting) to find when you search on an artist name. You can select from Albums, Songs, Video - from more than one location on the screen. If you cannot locate what you are looking for from that, there is no help for you.

User uploaded file

Jun 27, 2016 1:23 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Interesting you say this but don't seem to notice the complete lack of ability to view a discography, nor do you agree this is an essential way to view an artist. Try searching for "the radio" -- this is not "the radio dept" nor is it "tv on the radio" -- both respectable bands, but not the band I'm looking for. I encounter this all the time. The first level of filtering should do this, it just needs one more tab (no it's not under "more"). From a UX perspective this is pretty obvious. But then again post-Lion Apple UX is usually sabatoged by annoying features.

How to search for artist in iTunes Store app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.