Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change text size in emails on OS X El Capitan?

I don't want to change the font in an email so the recipient gets huge font but I want to change the size I view on the screen as its too small. All previous posts tell me to go to Mail, Preferences, Fonts & Colour but I can't see the selections I am being told to make. I only get 3 options:

Message List Font

Message Font

Fixed Width Font

Help!!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jun 27, 2016 2:41 PM

16 replies

Jul 31, 2016 9:06 PM in response to alisonfromswindon

I found an answer. I love my HD monitor, but then I cannot see the text. All the other apps have a user adjustable setting to help, including Mail for reading emails. The command + only works for reading emails. I found this on one of the help sites. It was just a little one line reply and it was the answer. It is a little scary as it looks all computer programmer complicated but here is what was suggested to me and it works!

Quit the Mail App and go open the Terminal App under Utilities. When it opens a little programmers window opens with some very computer-ish looking text. Copy the line below and then paste it into Terminal, hit enter and then restart the computer.

defaults write com.apple.mail MinimumHTMLFontSize 16

Source: http://protips.posthaven.com/making-mail-dot-app-fonts-bigger

How do I change text size in emails on OS X El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.