Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing iPhone 5 battery with the iPhone SE's battery

Good day all!!!

I have been using an iPhone 5 since December 2012 and it's been such a great phone for me. It's now at iOS 9.3.2. Everything is great but the battery performance. It's probably because of its age. Since the iPhone SE is now available, it's battery performance is much better than the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s. Since this phone is still functioning and it's sentimental to me, I was wondering if we can replace the iPhone 5 or iPhone 5s old batteries with the iPhone SE's battery which are sold online?

. Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day. 😉

Regards,

Dinesh Ong.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 27, 2016 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2017 8:40 PM

I can say definitively, NO. I just cracked both of mine open hoping I could replace my IPhone SE battery with my old IPhone 5's battery for troubleshooting purposes. The connections are NOT the same.

5 replies

Jun 28, 2016 6:06 AM in response to dneshong

According to Apple, the battery is not a part that can be replaced by the user or another 3rd party.

Even if you are willing to risk to lose the warranty and other service options given by Apple, the technical specifics might not match and do more harm than good to your older iPhone.

Plus, Apple does not sell spare parts, so you can't be sure about the quality. An expanding battery might be a result of using a 3rd party product.

Start a service request

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

Make an Apple Store appointment

Jun 28, 2016 6:27 AM in response to dneshong

The actual OEM battery is not available at retail sale except as parts salvaged, gray market items or outright fakes. Apple does not sell parts at retail nor do any of its Authorized service providers. And the connector on the SE battery is different anyway - see the teardowns of the different model iPhones at www.ifixit.com

For $79 (in the USA) Apple will replace your iPhone 5 battery and you'll know it has the right, compatible part, is a true OEM new replacement battery, and has been installed properly. And Apple will warranty that repair for 90 days.

Oct 15, 2016 12:13 AM in response to dneshong

I have the same problem, In the end I bought the Iphone SE and I'm very happy, Its a pity Apple didnt do anything about the battery of the Iphone 5, they must have lost a lot of customers to Samsung after the Iphone 5, a few friends of mine bought the iphone 5 and were terribly upset that they went back to iphone 4 and changed over to samsung because they coundnt afford the next iphone and were so upset with apple,

as a comparison my iphone SE lasts sometimes 3 days,

my Iphone 5 use to after being fully charged only last about 8hours at max before automaticaly switching off at 10%-20% battery life, very dismal

Replacing iPhone 5 battery with the iPhone SE's battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.