Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp "no bootable device"

My bootcamp partition is not showing up in startup disk mode, when booting while holding the option key.

Though it does show up in Disk Utility and Startup Disk.

When selecting it in Startup Disk, it boots and I get the "no bootable device error".

I have tried a few of the other similar questions relating to this, and I've seen some using gdisk, but I am not familiar with that package (but I do have it installed) and don't want to go ahead fiddling with the MBR or GPT without the proper advice.

I've attached photos of the MBR and diskutil list in case this is helpful.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jun 27, 2016 8:52 PM

15 replies

Jun 29, 2016 3:28 AM in response to MindFluid

Yes, this looks fine.

MindFluid wrote:

Also, why do you only set the bootflag for the windows partition?

The MBR is only used to support legacy BIOS booting. OS X uses EFI to boot. Hence there is no need for a BIOS boot flag for anything other than Windows. On 2015 and later Macs, because BIOS boot support has been deprecated, W7 and prior versions of Windows via Bootcamp are not supported. W7's EFI is fairly buggy. W8.1 and W10 do a much better job of EFI booting.

Boot Camp "no bootable device"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.