Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is LTE on top of my iphone 5s means

what LTE on top of my iphone 5s means

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1

Posted on Jun 28, 2016 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2016 6:13 AM

"LTE" is considered part of the revised 4G standard. In fact, it's often referred to as "4G LTE". I think you may be confused by the fact that AT&T started labeling HSPA+ as "4G" as it is also part of the 4G standard. Neither meets the original standards sett by the 3GPP Consortium for the LTE Advanced standard.

In the U.S., at least, it's becoming the standard type of network and is quite common, far more so than HSPA+.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2016 6:13 AM in response to bradley.bacon

"LTE" is considered part of the revised 4G standard. In fact, it's often referred to as "4G LTE". I think you may be confused by the fact that AT&T started labeling HSPA+ as "4G" as it is also part of the 4G standard. Neither meets the original standards sett by the 3GPP Consortium for the LTE Advanced standard.

In the U.S., at least, it's becoming the standard type of network and is quite common, far more so than HSPA+.

Jun 28, 2016 6:08 AM in response to wasel1

Hello, welcome to the community!

LTE stands for "Long-term evolution", and refers to the current cellular data standard that your cell phone is connected with. In the same way as when it says "4G" at the top of your phone, "LTE" is the type of connection you currently have. LTE is a bit faster than 4g, however it does drain slightly more battery and is not as widely available.

All good things

Bradley

what is LTE on top of my iphone 5s means

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.