Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning Off iCloud Photo Sharing

On my iPhone I have iCloud Photo Library & My Photo Steam turned off but iCloud Photo Sharing turned on. To be honest, I'm not sure how iCloud Photo Sharing got turned on - I don't use it. I would like to turn iCloud Photo Sharing off now and go back to the way it was with my iPhone storing it's own originals. When I go to turn off the iCloud Photo Sharing button on my iPhone it says it's going to delete all the shared photos from my device (which is now every photo I have on my iPhone). My question is, is that really the case? Can't I just go back to the way that (I thought) it was on the device before iCloud Photo Sharing was turned on?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 28, 2016 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2016 12:02 PM

It just needs to maybe be worded better. It is only referencing the shared albums as a separate association from your actual camera roll. It won't remove anything from your camera roll by toggling this off.

3 replies

Jun 28, 2016 12:02 PM in response to javaliga

To add to what BBois stated, the iCloud Photo Sharing setting refers to Shared Photo Streams -- those that you create and share with others, or what others may share with you. If you turn this setting off, then these Shared Photo Streams (and photos within them) will be removed from your device. But that does not affect what's in your Camera Roll.

If you have some Shared Photo Streams and want to preserve any photos within them, first save them to Camera Roll before turning this setting off. To do that, open the Shared Photo Stream and tap "Select" at the top, then tap on individual photos you want to save to Camera Roll, then tap the "Send To" icon (not sure what it's called ... the box with an arrow poking out of it), then select "Save Image".

Turning Off iCloud Photo Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.