Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My charger won't fit into the slot anymore

I had an otter box on my phone, with it covering the charger slot. I spilled some water on my phone in that area, but it wasn't completely submerged. I put my phone in rice even though nothing was wrong with the phone, just in case. After, I went to charge my phone and the charger wouldn't fit in the slot. I tried cleaning it out with a paper clip and some dirt came out, but it didn't work. I also tried cleaning it with a tooth brush and blow drying it, but nothing. What can I do?

iPhone 5s, null

Posted on Jun 28, 2016 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2016 9:12 AM

Hello mia0817mac!

Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, you tried to charge your iPhone after it got a little bit of water near the charging slot but the Lightning Cable is no longer able to fit into the slot. It's important to be able to plug in the charging adapter so that you can use your iPhone without the battery dying.

If you're able to get the cable plugged in, then take a look at this article for steps to do if it isn't charging:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t charge

However, if the Lightning adapter won't fit inside the slot at all for you to be able to test out the above steps, then it would most likely need to be serviced. To see about service options, you can either contact Apple Support or find an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple store near you:

Contact Support

Find Locations

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2016 9:12 AM in response to mia0817mac

Hello mia0817mac!

Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, you tried to charge your iPhone after it got a little bit of water near the charging slot but the Lightning Cable is no longer able to fit into the slot. It's important to be able to plug in the charging adapter so that you can use your iPhone without the battery dying.

If you're able to get the cable plugged in, then take a look at this article for steps to do if it isn't charging:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t charge

However, if the Lightning adapter won't fit inside the slot at all for you to be able to test out the above steps, then it would most likely need to be serviced. To see about service options, you can either contact Apple Support or find an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple store near you:

Contact Support

Find Locations

Have a great day!

My charger won't fit into the slot anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.