Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to delete GarageBand instruments and lessons?

Hello, I’m running macOS 10.12 and under storage management it says that "GarageBand instruments and lessons are using 1,02 GB. You can manage these files using GarageBand." I don’t even have GarageBand installed, so how can I completely get rid of it?User uploaded file

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), Other OS, macOS 10.12

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 6, 2016 6:17 PM in response to BraulioLaguna In response to BraulioLaguna

Here is an edit (including a SOLUTION!) to my above post, since it wouldn't let me edit it for some reason...

EDIT:

I found a good website that digs into what all GarageBand is using:

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/delete-garageband/

There, it essentially shows four folders where things are that GarageBand uses (part of which are the Apple Loop files I came across). These are some things you can delete if you DON'T want to use GarageBand. You may also want to keep the Apple Loops files and Logic folder if you use Logic Pro.

Here are some of the things you can possibly get rid of (but do so at your own risk!):

• Macintosh HD/Applications/GarageBand.app (1.16GB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand (995MB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic (880MB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops (up to 10GB)*

*Note that the size of the Apple Loops directory will vary depending on the number and type of loops downloaded by the user. You should not delete this folder (or the Logic folder) if you are using Logic Pro.

After I deleted the listed items, I went back to storage management and it said that GarageBand was only using 12 KB which was down from over 2 GB!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Jul 16, 2016 2:50 PM in response to BraulioLaguna In response to BraulioLaguna

It's 2.92G in my case and I've found some files:

$ du -sh '/Library/Application Support/GarageBand'

843M /Library/Application Support/GarageBand

Looks like that's exactly lessons.

Btw, I've tried to even download Garage Band from App Store to clean this stuff up, but haven't found only options for that.

Jul 16, 2016 2:50 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 6, 2016 2:32 PM in response to BraulioLaguna In response to BraulioLaguna

I have this same problem. I Have not been able to locate anything in .../Library/Application Support/GarageBand. It doesn't even exist. I also tried to download GarageBand to "Manage" these files like storage management said, but I wasn't able to do anything.

I did find 2,700+ small sound files in .../Library/Audio/Apple Loops that appear to be for GarageBand. There was also an "Apple Loops Index" text file that I opened and it listed all of the sound files and appeared to have "... For GarageBand" listed after each sound file in the text. So I deleted all of those and saved a little bit of space.

With all of that said, I am still hunting for 1.12 GB from this GarageBand junk.

Sep 6, 2016 2:32 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Sep 6, 2016 6:17 PM in response to BraulioLaguna In response to BraulioLaguna

Here is an edit (including a SOLUTION!) to my above post, since it wouldn't let me edit it for some reason...

EDIT:

I found a good website that digs into what all GarageBand is using:

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/delete-garageband/

There, it essentially shows four folders where things are that GarageBand uses (part of which are the Apple Loop files I came across). These are some things you can delete if you DON'T want to use GarageBand. You may also want to keep the Apple Loops files and Logic folder if you use Logic Pro.

Here are some of the things you can possibly get rid of (but do so at your own risk!):

• Macintosh HD/Applications/GarageBand.app (1.16GB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand (995MB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic (880MB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops (up to 10GB)*

*Note that the size of the Apple Loops directory will vary depending on the number and type of loops downloaded by the user. You should not delete this folder (or the Logic folder) if you are using Logic Pro.

After I deleted the listed items, I went back to storage management and it said that GarageBand was only using 12 KB which was down from over 2 GB!

Sep 6, 2016 6:17 PM

Reply Helpful (28)

Sep 28, 2016 11:56 PM in response to BraulioLaguna In response to BraulioLaguna

This is really frustrating. I uninstalled Garageband last year, including all the library files mentioned in the TekRevue article, but the system report still shows 46Gb of Garageband files.

A search reveals that there are no '.band' files, the application isn't in the applications folder, there is no 'Garageband' folder in Library/Applications support, and no relevant files in Library/Audio.

Any clues?

Sep 28, 2016 11:56 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 9, 2016 1:29 PM in response to BraulioLaguna In response to BraulioLaguna

Same question here. None of the files mentioned above are on my computer anymore. Still, I've got around 1GB of stuff used by GarageBand.

Where else does it save files? This is annoying. And why isn't it completely removed when using the Uninstall option?

Oct 9, 2016 1:29 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 9, 2016 11:42 PM in response to Mort In The Midlands In response to Mort In The Midlands

/Library/Application Support/Logic/

This made all the difference to me. Now GarageBand doesn't show up in System Report anymore.

Why is Logic installed along with GarageBand anyway? I don't use Logic Pro.

Of course it's hard to find what you want when you're not looking where you should. Nobody would look for Logic when they want to delete GarageBand.

Logic fail.

Oct 9, 2016 11:42 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Mar 31, 2017 11:48 AM in response to kparmley In response to kparmley

For some reason App Cleaner did not get everything, so I found the problem and removed in manually /Library/Audio/Apple Loops. Now down to 12KB

Mar 31, 2017 11:48 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jul 17, 2017 4:45 PM in response to hmibrooklyn In response to hmibrooklyn

I had this same problem. I could not find any of the folders or files on my computer. The storage manager showed another user account that I had forgotten about. I signed into that account and found the Garageband and Logic files hiding there. Successfully deleted them by following the instructions above.

Jul 17, 2017 4:45 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: BraulioLaguna

Question: How to delete GarageBand instruments and lessons?