Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete GarageBand instruments and lessons?

Hello, I’m running macOS 10.12 and under storage management it says that "GarageBand instruments and lessons are using 1,02 GB. You can manage these files using GarageBand." I don’t even have GarageBand installed, so how can I completely get rid of it?User uploaded file

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), Other OS, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 28, 2016 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2017 4:39 PM

Following these instructions I found the used space (74 GB in my case) did not get freed.

I noticed however that the folders did not get deleted despite several attempts at deleting it in Finder.

Instead I used terminal and typed

sudo rm -fR /Applications/GarageBand.app

sudo rm -fR /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

sudo rm -fR /Library/Application Support/Logic/

sudo rm -fR /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

It asks for your admin password each time and correctly deletes the folders. (you may find GarageBand.app deletes properly using Finder)

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2017 4:39 PM in response to BraulioLaguna

Following these instructions I found the used space (74 GB in my case) did not get freed.

I noticed however that the folders did not get deleted despite several attempts at deleting it in Finder.

Instead I used terminal and typed

sudo rm -fR /Applications/GarageBand.app

sudo rm -fR /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

sudo rm -fR /Library/Application Support/Logic/

sudo rm -fR /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

It asks for your admin password each time and correctly deletes the folders. (you may find GarageBand.app deletes properly using Finder)

Nov 3, 2017 5:46 PM in response to hmibrooklyn

I too tried all the recommended deletions and still get the message of over 5GB of space. Hope someone can come up with more than these:

• Macintosh HD/Applications/GarageBand.app (1.16GB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand (995MB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic (880MB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops (up to 10GB)*

Nov 5, 2017 4:17 PM in response to BraulioLaguna

I had the same problem. On my 2015 11 inch Macbook Air (120 GB drive), I had deleted Garage Band but the storage management kept saying Garage Band was using approximately 5GB -- and this after deleting the following:

• Macintosh HD/Applications/GarageBand.app
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops

Today, I went to the App store and reinstalled Garage Band. Then I deleted it using a utility "CleanMyMac" (which, prior to re-installing Garage Band, of course could not see Garage Band).

This fixed the problem completely:

• space before re-installing Garage Band: 13.28GB
  • space after re-installing and then uninstalling Garage Band with CleanMyMac: 19.29GB!

Sep 19, 2017 4:18 PM in response to BraulioLaguna

Everyone keeps posting these various folders in the Libraries for Application Support and Audio and I did not have such folders or the app installed and yet still had nearly a half gig of files. I found a folder in audio for Final Cut Pro files and just to test moved the folder out of there and sure enough all the GarageBand files disappeared from the manage storage app. So your other sound files for apple apps my be the issue. problem solved for me, hope this help you.

Sep 21, 2017 8:14 AM in response to 555R

In the audio folder, as I drilled further into it, I saw that one of the folders was labeled for the "Final Cut Pro" and contained a number of sound effects. I just wanted to see if they were being considered GarageBand resources so I just drug the folder to the desktop as an experiment. I restarted the storage management app and sure enough all the GarageBand Resources were gone and no space was being utilized for them. I then put back the audio files and sure enough I have GarageBand files. So it appears that the management app should be renamed to Pro App resources or something like that to end all this confusion.

Sep 6, 2016 2:32 PM in response to BraulioLaguna

I have this same problem. I Have not been able to locate anything in .../Library/Application Support/GarageBand. It doesn't even exist. I also tried to download GarageBand to "Manage" these files like storage management said, but I wasn't able to do anything.

I did find 2,700+ small sound files in .../Library/Audio/Apple Loops that appear to be for GarageBand. There was also an "Apple Loops Index" text file that I opened and it listed all of the sound files and appeared to have "... For GarageBand" listed after each sound file in the text. So I deleted all of those and saved a little bit of space.

With all of that said, I am still hunting for 1.12 GB from this GarageBand junk.

Sep 6, 2016 6:17 PM in response to BraulioLaguna

Here is an edit (including a SOLUTION!) to my above post, since it wouldn't let me edit it for some reason...

EDIT:

I found a good website that digs into what all GarageBand is using:

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/delete-garageband/

There, it essentially shows four folders where things are that GarageBand uses (part of which are the Apple Loop files I came across). These are some things you can delete if you DON'T want to use GarageBand. You may also want to keep the Apple Loops files and Logic folder if you use Logic Pro.

Here are some of the things you can possibly get rid of (but do so at your own risk!):

• Macintosh HD/Applications/GarageBand.app (1.16GB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand (995MB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic (880MB)
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops (up to 10GB)*

*Note that the size of the Apple Loops directory will vary depending on the number and type of loops downloaded by the user. You should not delete this folder (or the Logic folder) if you are using Logic Pro.

After I deleted the listed items, I went back to storage management and it said that GarageBand was only using 12 KB which was down from over 2 GB!

How to delete GarageBand instruments and lessons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.