Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove Library from Spotlight searches?

In my spotlight searches, either through Command-space or in the search bar in a Finder window, my results are dominated by files in my Library folder (and Outlook in particular), which I thought was supposed to be hidden from Spotlight searches. It makes my Spotlight virtually useless, because I'm wading through so much useless junk, I can't find my search results.

I can't figure out how to put Library in my "exclude" list. But more importantly, why should I have to do that at all, when Library is a hidden folder and shouldn't be showing up in Spotlight results in the first place.

I am using El Capitan, Outlook 2011.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), HP Printers

Posted on Jun 30, 2016 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2016 9:55 PM

>System Preferences>Spotlight>Privacy

Holding the option key makes ~/Library visible in the Finder>GO>Library

Your ~/Library is in your home Folder, Drag it to the Privacy field of the Spotlight Preferences to exclude it from search.

You can drag the ~/Library folder to the Finder sidebar if that makes it easier for you to access.

If you are still having trouble locating your ~/Library open any finder window (command shift H ) and from the dropdown menu View>Show view options> check the Library

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2016 9:55 PM in response to Frederic Chiu

>System Preferences>Spotlight>Privacy

Holding the option key makes ~/Library visible in the Finder>GO>Library

Your ~/Library is in your home Folder, Drag it to the Privacy field of the Spotlight Preferences to exclude it from search.

You can drag the ~/Library folder to the Finder sidebar if that makes it easier for you to access.

If you are still having trouble locating your ~/Library open any finder window (command shift H ) and from the dropdown menu View>Show view options> check the Library

User uploaded file

Jun 30, 2016 9:49 PM in response to Frederic Chiu

Open Finder preferences. Click on the Advanced icon in the toolbar. Set the Search choice's dropdown menu to Search the Current folder rather than a full system search. If Spotlight is always searching the Library folder then you may have changed its status from invisible to visible or it has been placed on Spotlight's list of locations.

If you wish any folder or disk to be on Spotlight's exclude list then open Spotlight's preferences, click on the Privacy tab. Drag the item(s) to be excluded to the empty list. Once you do that you will no longer be able to search those items unless you remove them from the list and give Spotlight a chance to re-index them.

How can I remove Library from Spotlight searches?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.