Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Devices on Macbook

I have a 2015 MacBook, which generally speaking I like quite a bit. One thing that I have noticed is that when I connect usb devices, I almost always have to reboot in order for the Mac to see the device. I have seen this problem with a USB scanner, a USB reader for a SD card, and with USB and USB-C external hard drives. Basically, when I connect the device, there is no response from the MAC until after a reboot. Note, I have tried a few different USB - USB-C adaptors, with the same result. I have even checked in disk utility to see if the external hard drives are recognized, and they are not. I have two different drives I have tried with the same result.

If it helps, the SD card reader is in a Juiced adaptor that also has 3 USB ports. I have tried the hard drives with the Juiced adaptor, and with Apple's USB/HDMI to USB-C adaptor. I have also purchased a cord that goes from the hard drives directly to USB-C, with the same result.

While this is an annoyance I can work around, I am concerned that potentially it will stop working all together, at which point life with my MacBook would be not so good. Any ideas?

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2016 11:21 AM

7 replies

Oct 15, 2017 4:24 PM in response to Nelson Ancalmo

Also mention the fact that it only happens with 3.0 devices. I guess all I can do is wait.

Are you using one of the Apple USB-C Multiport adapters, either the HDMI one or the VGA one?

If so, then that's your problem. I have tried 2 different ones and tried to work with Apple support to resolve the issue, with no success.

I bought a USB-C adapter from Hyper Drive, it works with USB 3 external hard drives without any issues, and it's cheaper and is of better quality. The HDMI works well too.

This one works: https://www.hypershop.com/collections/all/products/hyperdrive-usb-type-c-hub-wit h-4k-hdmi-support

Jul 7, 2016 10:58 PM in response to Brucelin

I'm not sure if this can help you.

I have the same problem with myMacBook 12" (early 2015) and it all begin after the latest upgrade to El Capitan 10.11.5

One thing I have found out is that the problem happens only with devices using USB 3.0

If you try one that uses USB 2.0 (an old flash drive for example) you won'y have a problem

It must be something in the software update, hopefully the guys at Apple will look into this.

Jul 8, 2016 7:33 AM in response to Nelson Ancalmo

Nelson,

This seems like useful information. If you have searched in this forum you will have seen that others have also reported needing to reboot to have connected USB devices appear.

As you said, "hopefully... Apple will look into this."

They may never see it here.

You can report your observations at https://getsupport.apple.com/

W R Glendon

Jul 8, 2016 3:12 PM in response to Nelson Ancalmo

I think this is a built in safety measure for your machine.

When connecting an External Drive or as you mentioned a scanner or printer. You would be better off if you could connect them wireless to your machine if possible. Many users use a4 port Usb connector which will allow multiple devices to be connected. It is my opinion that a simple reboot is not a biggie when connecting these devices for the first time. After you have everything connected you only have to do this reboot one time.

CHEERS

Don

USB Devices on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.