Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent my Mac from logging out after I've logged in remotely from iPhone, then left the iPhone app?

I use RemoterVNC on my iPhone to remotely login to my Mac at home so kids can use the computer without my having to physically go to the computer. (I admit it, I'm a little lazy that way.) However, lately when I launch RemoterVNC (on my iPhone), do the login business, then leave the app, the remote Mac has started logging out. It also has started doing this when I log in from my other Mac via Screen Sharing. This is a relatively recent behavior. Does anyone have any idea what setting I may have (inadvertently) toggled to cause the computer to automatically log out when the "logging in app" is no longer active on the remote device?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jul 2, 2016 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2016 12:53 PM

Go at System Preferences > Energy Saves > Computer Sleep > Drag this at NEVER in order to prevent your mac from logging out.

Think simple. 🙂

4 replies

Jul 4, 2016 1:09 PM in response to macmikey

Check to see if System Preferences -> Security -> unlock padlock -> Advanced -> [_] "Log out after [nn] minutes of inactivity" is set.

User uploaded file

Does your iPhone go to sleep?

Did you get an update for the RemoveVNC iPhone client? Is it possible the RemoteVNC vendor changed the behavior?

Have you looked at the RemoveVNC "Settings" to see if there is an option that has changed, or is new that you might want to now set.

Jul 4, 2016 1:09 PM in response to BobHarris

"Log out after [nn] minutes of inactivity" is clear (i.e., not checked).

After I log in remotely, I do turn the phone off (into standby/sleep mode).

I seldom (read: never) make changes to these settings once I've set up the connection procedure. Additionally, I do not recall any recent RemoterVNC updates, but many of these happen "silently." The most recent update was on Nov. 12, but I don't think my problem has been happening that long. Maybe in the last 2-3 months... but I could be mistaken. I'll inquire with the developer about this behavior.

How do I prevent my Mac from logging out after I've logged in remotely from iPhone, then left the iPhone app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.