Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X and multichannel WAV file support

I recently recorded a couple of live shows to an external disk connected to a Mackie DL32R's external disk. (I had thought about connecting the Macbook Pro to the mixer and recording directly into Logic but the mixer was backstage in a rack and doing that got complicated quickly.)

This mixer records in multichannel WAV format -- all 32 channels in one file. Well, actually, that's not entirely true. Due to limitations in the WAV format's file size, it records in 7-minute bites. Logic 9 doesn't know how to deal with a 32-channel WAV file. Does Logic X? Ideally, it would be smart enough to put each channel of the file into its own mixer channel strip. (That would be a great advantage in terms of disk access.)

I have a workaround: I can use the open-source sox to concatenate the 7-minute chunks into one set-length multichannel CAF (Core Audio Format), and then I use TwistedWave to split that CAF into 32 individual-channel CAF files, which Logic likes. (Then it's the small matter of letting Logic build the previews, which takes ages.) But if I can skip all of that and just bring the multichannel files into Logic X I'd save a lot of time.

Posted on Jul 2, 2016 10:00 AM

6 replies

Jul 6, 2016 4:49 PM in response to Indyuser

For the record, dragging the multi-channel file from the Finder into Logic 9 does not split the file into its constituent channels.

But it does work in the latest version of Logic X (I upgraded yesterday). And it seemed to be remarkably fast, too. The only annoyance is that it created the various single-channel files and put them into the .logicx bundle. And I thought there was a way to prevent that from happening, and then I got lost in the maze of preferences.

And after playing with Logic X for a few hours last night, I like it. It works well on an aging Core2Duo iMac, too.

Thanks to all for helping.

Logic Pro X and multichannel WAV file support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.