Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facebook notification shows "you received a new message" instead the preview of the text...

facebook notification shows "you received a new message" instead the preview of the text... as it did before... I have got the Mac OS X Mavericks and chrome browser. Something has changed this week or so because two week back it was fine. I could read preview of the message right in notification center, it was really cool!!!

Does someone has the same behavior right now?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Jul 2, 2016 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2016 6:53 AM

Welcome karffe,

I can see why it's important to be able to see your notifications completely when they come in and I will be more than happy to help out in resolving this.

On your Mac, in the top left corner, select the Apple logo and select System Preferences. Once here, select Notifications, then you should see Facebook listed. Click on Facebook and then make sure the alert style is set to "Alerts". This should now give you a preview of what the notification is about.

Cheers

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2016 6:53 AM in response to karffe

Welcome karffe,

I can see why it's important to be able to see your notifications completely when they come in and I will be more than happy to help out in resolving this.

On your Mac, in the top left corner, select the Apple logo and select System Preferences. Once here, select Notifications, then you should see Facebook listed. Click on Facebook and then make sure the alert style is set to "Alerts". This should now give you a preview of what the notification is about.

Cheers

Jul 3, 2016 7:35 AM in response to karffe

Hi, I've the same problem on El Capitan. All of sudden it stopped showing the preview of the message as it did before. I've already tried to switch off and on back again and I don't know why it just shows 'You received a message'. Oh.. and it shows in English even though my OS language is set to Portuguese.

Jul 3, 2016 9:38 AM in response to mpruivo

My problem seems to be the same as yours, because the banner shows me now: you received a new message (in english language) but my system is set up to be diferent language. But once again, the banner showed me the text preview of the message right there in notification center...I think it should be problem on the facebook site... maybe they changed something with privacy or something like that.

Jul 3, 2016 12:56 PM in response to karffe

Hi,

I am reading this thread as I have booked marked the Mavericks Community in such a way that I only see the Messages tagged threads.

Facebook stopped using a XMPP (Jabber) server fro their message service back in 2014 https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat/

Since then Messages (or any iChat version still being used on earlier Macs) cannot not use the Facebook service as it has ended.

As you post indicates the method now is to open a separate tab in a browser for the messages system they are currently using.

It would seem the Chrome browser would be the thing to look at.

User uploaded file

8:56 pm Sunday; July 3, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Jul 4, 2016 9:41 AM in response to karffe

I got the same issue here, on all of my Macs, on both Yosemite and El Capitan.

A few days earlier it was saying "Nieuw bericht", which is New message in Dutch, instead of "You recieved a new message."

I'm quite sure it's a Facebook side issue, guess they've changed something in their privacy security i guess.

Might me worth pointing out to them perhaps.

Jul 5, 2016 3:44 PM in response to stnz

I've been using Safari all the time and it doesn't seems to me that it's browser related. It's definitely either facebook policies side or some OS X bug somewhere else. Anyway, it should be fixed asap because it's boring as **** to get the 'You have a new message' notification. Completely pointless. It's faster to give a quick look to my iPhone and check the preview than open the browser to read the message.

Jul 7, 2016 11:07 AM in response to mpruivo

I do agree, because i have tried to reinstall google chrome (i only use this one) and then in Preferences i logged out of the Accounts settings, that removed the facebook notification from the Notification center... But after i reinstall all back and logged in that nothing has changed, there is still the same "notification" about fact that you have a new message... But, one week back it was absolutely fine wit the preview of the message, i didnt update anything on my Mac, that must be problem on the facebook side i think...

Why the right and good things are gone?😟

facebook notification shows "you received a new message" instead the preview of the text...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.