Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I overlay pictures in iMovie?

I don't know how to overlay a picture on a video clip on the iPad version of iMovie. I Can only overlay video clips. any answers?

Posted on Jul 4, 2016 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 8:41 PM

Completely ridiculous to have to do that, given how simple it is on the computer version!! Why do the iPad versions of iMovie and GarageBand have to be so frustratingly limited? But thank-you very much for your solution to the problem.

2 replies

Jul 5, 2016 4:45 PM in response to natethedang

You can't overlay photos (at least not directly).

If you still want to do it, create a separate movie project in iMovie and include only the photos you'd like to overlay in your original project (essentially make a slideshow, and be sure to either disable Ken Burns or set it appropriately for each photo). When you're satisfied, export that movie to the camera roll. Now back in your original project, open the media browser, locate the slideshow your created and tap on it. Tap the three dots (...) and choose the type of overlay you want (cut-away, pip, or side by side).

How do I overlay pictures in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.