Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to copy old cassettes to a cd on my MacBook?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2016 12:42 PM

10 replies

Jul 5, 2016 1:24 PM in response to 4214Oldchurch

Not sure about a Mac, but it is possible in Windows, so it has to be somewhat similar. You will need some type of software that you can use to connect to a cassette player. You may also need some hardware to go between the cassette player and the computer to digitize the signal, then save on the computer as an audio file. Once you have done that, you can burn the audio files to a CD. You would have to check the capabilities of the Mac and then see what other types of software and hardware you may need.

Jul 5, 2016 1:53 PM in response to 4214Oldchurch

You would need a working cassette player with audio out port (headphone jack would do fine). Connect that audio output to audio in jack on your MacBook. Use software, such as QuickTime to "record" in digital form, which then can be burned onto a CD.

If these are music cassettes, rather than some recordings of historical or personal significance, don't bother. After these many years, the sound quality will be unbearably poor.

Jul 5, 2016 1:54 PM in response to 4214Oldchurch

You will have to connect your cassette players output to your mac via either the mini jack or through an audio converter to either the usb or firewire. Then check you have the correct Input selected in System Preferences>Sound check the input level and adjust. You can then record directly to Garageband edit then burn to CD from there.

Hope this helps.

PJRS

Jul 5, 2016 1:43 PM in response to 4214Oldchurch

It certainly can be done and in effect I have done it. As indicated by others, you will need a cassette deck. I connected it by RCA outputs to the audio input jack of the MBP. I used an application called SpinDoctor which worked but look for something better because it was not the most stable of applications. The cassette material was installed in iTunes, so that from there you can copy to a disk as you might any other iTunes tracks/playlist. Understand the copy process is going to be real time. so patience will be required.

Ciao.

Jul 5, 2016 11:07 PM in response to 4214Oldchurch

you need to connect your casette deck to your MacBook. This can be done with a usb audio device called a Behringer UCA202. Use RCA cable to connect your casette deck to the Behringer and then plug the Behringer into the usb port on you macbook. Works great and easy to setup. Record the music with an audio recording app like Sony sound forge which has a audio plugin to reduce noise from your cassette tape recordings or lp records. Sony sound forge is a great app for recording music From tapes or lp's.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1 ?ie=UTF8&qid=1467784216&sr=8-1&keywords=…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.