Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina knocking/rattling sound

I have an issue where my Macbook Pro Retina is making a loud knocking sound, this has been happening for a few months.

The way you go about making the knocking noise is by holding the laptop with the lid open and moving the laptop left and right, depending on the temperate of your laptop and how much you have been using, it the more/less obvious it is.

The rattle is within the screen assembly and i have done quite a bit of research to try figure out what it is. I have come to the conclusion that is is the light guide plate (part #AE009A E9-1) moving within the screen due to an adhesive failure. This is caused by the laptop heating up and eventually wearing out the adhesive that is holding the light guide plate in place. The adhesive is a mild adhesive. As there is a small amount of room on each side of the guide plate, it is knocking on the chassis of the laptop.

User uploaded file

I understand that the sound is not the most reassuring thing but i am fairly sure that it does not impact the performance of the laptop at all.

Mine will be getting fixed as i have taken my Macbook in for the issue where the keyboard has caused the anti reflective coating to be removed from the screen leaving a big blemish/scratch in the center. This is a known issue and they didn't hesitate to fix it. When they replace the screen assembly they will by default be replacing the light guide plate.

I hope this helps anyone that is confused about the noise coming from there laptop.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), Mac OS X (10.0.x), null

Posted on Jul 6, 2016 12:19 AM

2 replies

Aug 10, 2017 1:38 PM in response to tobiasdrf

I have this same issue on my MacBook Pro 2016 non touch bar. Apple needs to do a better job of addressing these widespread problems (this, "staingate", etc.). I went through 2 staingate problems (MacBook Retina 2015 and MacBook Pro 2015) and now with this "Rattlegate" on my MacBook Pro 2016 non touch bar. People pay a premium to get Apple products and they expect them to work without rattles or ruined screens. Come on Apple step up your game with backing up your products!

Macbook Pro Retina knocking/rattling sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.