Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal cd command not functioning properly

I'm using terminal to try to direct myself to a subfolder and when I do so I first use the command "ls" to list the contents of the directory I'm in. Next I use the command "cd" followed by a space and the name of the next folder or subfolder I would like to go into next. It all worked fine till I came to a folder I called "Russian Project". When I type "cd Russian Project" I am told by terminal that "-bash: cd: Russian: No such file or directory". This is simply not true. I can see it in my finder plain as day I can even do a ls on the folder containing it and it's clearly there. How can terminal be fixed so it will see what's there?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 8, 2016 1:34 AM

5 replies

Jul 8, 2016 8:22 AM in response to donovanm21

Thanks, that's a great and easy solution. Though I did find another that is rather handy. If I have the folder selected in finder I can go to Finder > Services > New Terminal at Folder. If that is not an option for you then go to system preferences > keyboard > shortcuts, then on the left side select "Services" then make sure in the list on the right that "New Terminal at Folder" is checked.

Terminal cd command not functioning properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.