Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Macbook doesn't notice External HD

I Have an early 2015 retina macbook 12", 1.1 ghz. It is a few months old. It does not notice a usb flash drive, hard drive or ssd drive, all usb 3.0 plugged into an adapter. It will however, charge and it will notice my iphone 6s plus on itunes,(with wifi sync off). Any idea why it wouldn't notice it?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jul 8, 2016 12:08 PM

13 replies

Jul 10, 2016 6:45 PM in response to zachssanders

I have the same problem with my MacBook 12" Retina early 2015. It all started when I did an upgrade to either El Capitan 10.11.5, or an upgrade for the USB-C Digital AV Multipart Adapter. Can't be sure which one it was. But since, all USB 3.0 devices fail to be recognized by the computer, unless I restart or reboot it in some way.

I have tried several old USB (2.0) flash drives and an external drive (Passport) also 2.0 and all work fine all the time, but once I try to use the new 3.0 devices, I have the same problem.

Recently I re-installed El Capitan (same version) and now it's been working intermittently, some times the 3.0 devices will mount and some times they don't.

It's a real pain in the neck because now I can't rely on my 3.0 devices.

The USB-C is a new technology and when I bought the MacBook I accepted there were going to be some problems, now I regret trading my MacBook Air, maybe one of this days I will just do that.

Jul 11, 2016 10:53 AM in response to zachssanders

zachssanders, try using an old flash drive or external hard drive (they will have the USB 2.0) and see if they are recognized by your MacBook.

If they are, then you'll know the problem is with the software failing to communicate with the drives, or vice-versa.

I'm still hoping somebody with the knowledge and the interest will gives us a solution.

Jul 12, 2016 1:32 PM in response to zachssanders

This its something else I fail to report, and may be important.

I work side by side with an iMac27 Retina 5K 27" late 2014, running also on El Capitan 10.11.5. Both computers (the MacBook 12" and the iMac27") were upgraded to the 10.11.5 version on the same day.

All my devices, USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 (flash dives or external drives) have been working fine all the time in the iMac 27, with makes me think that the problem started with the upgrade I made for the USB-C Digital AV Multipart Adapter.

My problem is that I can't go any further than that, since I don't have enough knowledge about the way these devices and upgrades work. But I'm sure somebody does, I'm still hoping for a resolution to this annoying problem.

Sep 23, 2016 10:03 AM in response to CorviasDesigner

This is not a solution to the problem MacBook 12 Retina has recognizing USB 3.0, but this is what I did.

I got tired of fighting what seemed to be a lost battle: the smart people telling me there isn't a problem with the USB 3.0, and I continued to have it every day.

So I SOLD THE MACBOOK 12 AND BOUGHT ME A MACBOOK AIR, problem solved, I'm now a happy man writing and using my USB 3.0 devices.

One day Apple will recognize they have a problem and hopefully will fix it. Good luck, CorviasDesigner, wish you the best

Nelson

Retina Macbook doesn't notice External HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.