Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I encrypt a USB when I get the message 'A GUID Partition Table (GPT) partitioning scheme is required? '

I have just tried to encrypt a USB with my Mac book (latest version) and received the message 'A GUID Partition Table (GPT) partitioning scheme is required.' What does this mean and any suggestions on how I proceed?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jul 9, 2016 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2016 7:41 PM

The disk needs to be formatted for Mac. Boot in to Recvery Mode. Erase the disk using Disk Utility (select the uppermost icon which represents the entire drive and click on erase. Partition scheme should be Mac OS (Extended) first partition GUID, which is the default.

If you want to install a system on it follow these steps:

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2016 7:41 PM in response to Wills.1435

The disk needs to be formatted for Mac. Boot in to Recvery Mode. Erase the disk using Disk Utility (select the uppermost icon which represents the entire drive and click on erase. Partition scheme should be Mac OS (Extended) first partition GUID, which is the default.

If you want to install a system on it follow these steps:

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

How do I encrypt a USB when I get the message 'A GUID Partition Table (GPT) partitioning scheme is required? '

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.