Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-secure Jabber login?

Greetings!

I have been having a heck of time using my iChat since the last update.

I keep getting the prompt about a non-secure Jabber login. Then it says my password is invalid.

Help!

I have tried resetting passwords, signing in/signing out. I have tried deleting certain keychain passwords.

Nothing seems to work and I miss my chat. 😟

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jul 10, 2016 7:39 AM

9 replies

Feb 5, 2017 12:32 PM in response to 330mopadzi

Hi,

Is the Jabber server set to use SSL or not ?

If not then the Warn error message is likely to show all the time from the client end.

You may have to Log out first to reset the Server Settings.

User uploaded file

8:32 pm Sunday; February 5, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Feb 4, 2017 12:40 PM in response to jennfromtheblock

Hi,

we use jabber in my job with own server. And I see this dialog window everytime.

There is no way to turn off "Warn before sending password insecurely". When I unchecked it, it checks it inmediatelly.

I try to create apple script for Automator.

Do you know, what is number of this error message??? I cant find it anymore.

try

-- in sert actions here

on error the error_messagenumber the error_number

display dialog "Error: " & the error_number & ". " & the error_message buttons {"OK"} default button 1

end try

Jul 10, 2016 11:48 AM in response to jennfromtheblock

Hi,

It would help if we knew which Jabber server you are trying to Connect to.

I find that a Google Talk ID I have used since iChat 3 will no longer sign in using SSL and will always report a Non Secure Login.

This is despite me setting the "Less secure Apps" item at Google and changing the Server name and settings regarding Ports and SSL on my Mac.

Something always seems to override the settings enabling the Automatic Find Port and Server which takes Off the SSL setting.

IT seems the server name is no longer talk.google.com either.

User uploaded file

7:48 pm Sunday; July 10, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Jul 12, 2016 11:51 AM in response to jennfromtheblock

Hi,

Messages has been able to add Jabber accounts since it was the previous App iChat and version 3 of that.

In fact the versions numbers for Messages continues on from iChat with the Lion version being ichat 6 and Mountain Lion having Messages 7

This is the list of Jabber servers http://www.jabberes.org/servers/

It is not exhaustive by any means but it does give you an idea.

Google is not even mentioned in that list but they do run a Jabber server.

User uploaded file

This is my settings for Google.

Despite me editing the com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist to allow it to be reset to "talk.google.com" and SSL ticked and port 5223 which is the one for SSL logins it currently always overrides anything I put in and show this.

Each time I start up messages I get this Alert

User uploaded file

This ties up with the second grey tick in the picture above about warning about sending info Insecurely.

The issues I have with Google have only started in the last few weeks.

For a while now they have tried to shift people away from SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) logins to their Servers.

They use their own Oauth Tokens instead.

So you have to set your Google Account setting to Allow "Less Secure Apps" so you could use SSL.

In the meantime the Apple Mail app has continued to use SSL with Google's servers complaining at all.

Different Jabber servers login with and without SSL generally down to the Server choice (If they do one they don't do the other.)

User uploaded file

As I said before knowing what type of Jabber Account you have is likely to be the first step to solving this.

You still have not said either way.

You will notice that I have edited some of the personal info in the Pictures I have posted.

If you post some of yours you will need to do the same but is may make things quicker.

User uploaded file

7:46 pm Monday; July 11, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Oct 9, 2016 10:17 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

If I may, I am having the same issue. I have two Google accounts and the older one uses the Jabber (the one giving me the message) and the newer one Google Talk (no issues at all). When I inactivate the Jabber gmail account to change the Server Settings, as described they revert back as soon as I reactivate the account.

1. I unchecked 'enable account'.

2. I unchecked 'automatically find server' and checked 'use ssl'.

3. I left the server name as is 'gmail.com' and the port as is '5222'.

4. I recheck 'enable account' and now I do not get the non-secure message but 'connecting...' keeps sitting there.

5. When I go back to look at 'server settings' 'use ssl' is unchecked.

I have no idea what jabber account I should or should not use and given that the list is massive, I would not know where to begin.

Thank you!

Lisa

Atlanta, GA USA

(if I should start a new thread, please let me know. Thanks!)

Oct 9, 2016 12:55 PM in response to lisaroser

Hi,

I have allow Less Secure Apps set on my Google Settings. (i.e Google Web Site > login to your Account and go to Settings)

I was using this before the issue of not being able to set the Server Name to talk.google.com and the Port to 5223 and SSL

I had trouble a while back where I could not even remove the GoogleTalk account because it was/is linked to the Google settings in System Preferences > Internet Accounts

I am sure that is part of the issue now - that Internet Accounts is using the Google Mail settings over the GoogleTalk settings - the presumption being that an Internet Account only logs into one server.

I have yet to try creating a second Google account to get around this.

User uploaded file

8:55 pm Sunday; October 9, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Non-secure Jabber login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.