You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long is s Voice iMessage valid for if not listened to

how long is a voice iMessage valid for on the recipients phone if the recipient doesn't listen to it? And is there any way the sender can cancel it after its sent?o

iPhone 5c

Posted on Jul 10, 2016 8:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2016 6:12 AM

Hello Daviesfromwales,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you would like to know how long an audio iMessage stays on the recipient's phone if they don't listen to it. I send audio iMessages a lot, so I know how important it is to know how long they are saved when sending.

The audio iMessage will remain on the recipient's phone until they play and listen to it. There isn't a way to cancel the message after it has been sent. After they have played the audio iMessage, the Messages app will delete it after 2 minutes unless they select Keep underneath the message. If you don't want the Messages app to delete your audio messages after you listen, you can adjust the Settings by following this path: Settings > Messages > Expire and select Never.

Use the article Send photo, video, or audio messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, for more information, specifically, this section:

User uploaded file

Send audio messages using iMessage

1. Open Messages and tap User uploaded file.
  2. Touch and hold User uploaded file to record an audio message.
  3. To preview your message, tap User uploaded file. To cancel, tap User uploaded file. To send, tap User uploaded file.

You need iOS 8 or later to send audio messages.

Play or save audio messages

Tap the audio message to play it. After you listen to an audio message, the Messages app deletes it after 2 minutes. You can save audio messages by tapping Keep underneath the message.

To see your saved attachments, tap Details. If you don't want the Messages app to delete your audio messages after you listen to them, go to Settings > Messages > Expire and select Never.

Have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2016 6:12 AM in response to Daviesfromwales

Hello Daviesfromwales,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you would like to know how long an audio iMessage stays on the recipient's phone if they don't listen to it. I send audio iMessages a lot, so I know how important it is to know how long they are saved when sending.

The audio iMessage will remain on the recipient's phone until they play and listen to it. There isn't a way to cancel the message after it has been sent. After they have played the audio iMessage, the Messages app will delete it after 2 minutes unless they select Keep underneath the message. If you don't want the Messages app to delete your audio messages after you listen, you can adjust the Settings by following this path: Settings > Messages > Expire and select Never.

Use the article Send photo, video, or audio messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, for more information, specifically, this section:

User uploaded file

Send audio messages using iMessage

1. Open Messages and tap User uploaded file.
  2. Touch and hold User uploaded file to record an audio message.
  3. To preview your message, tap User uploaded file. To cancel, tap User uploaded file. To send, tap User uploaded file.

You need iOS 8 or later to send audio messages.

Play or save audio messages

Tap the audio message to play it. After you listen to an audio message, the Messages app deletes it after 2 minutes. You can save audio messages by tapping Keep underneath the message.

To see your saved attachments, tap Details. If you don't want the Messages app to delete your audio messages after you listen to them, go to Settings > Messages > Expire and select Never.

Have a great day!

Jul 11, 2016 6:27 AM in response to Daviesfromwales

Once it is received it is stored locally on the recipients phone. There is nothing you can do to stop them from keeping it indefinitely, listening to it, not listening to, or doing anything they wish with it. Just like an email or a text, once you send it (or leave the recording in the case of a voice mail) it is completely out of your control.

How long is s Voice iMessage valid for if not listened to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.