Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you have family sharing without shared payment?

I want to have my family sharing enabled but I want each family member to pay for their own downloads. How is this possible?

Posted on Jul 10, 2016 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2017 4:42 PM

complete BS. what a ridiculous restriction.

11 replies

Jul 10, 2016 12:16 PM in response to Sean.Ohlrich

The only way to do that is if the family members have a credit balance on their personal iTunes account from an iTunes gift card. Also, certain purchases require a credit card be used, such as recurring subscription purchases. Even if these users are adults and have their own credit cards attached to their personal accounts, one of the things about Family Sharing is using the credit card of the family organizer. See this support document with an explanation on purchases. Family purchases and payments - Apple Support You will see that it says if an adult member wishes to pay for their own purchase, they need to be removed from the family group.

Jan 23, 2018 8:07 AM in response to Pinski3

You are not addressing Apple here, this is a user to user support forum, and Apple does not participate here. So no one here have anything to do with the terms and conditions. The Family Organizer is required to have a valid payment method, and there is a section here regarding valid payment methods for Family Sharing. Not all methods work in all areas. Payment methods that you can use in the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store - Apple Support

Sharing that payment method is a requirement of Family Sharing, and you can activate Ask To Buy as a restriction on those child devices to require that you approve purchases. If you purchase iTunes Gift cards for the children and have them redeem them on their account, not yours, they can make purchases that do not use your credit card.

If you have additional questions, you can use the support link at the top of the page to contact Apple.

Jul 27, 2016 8:43 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have added my wife to the family, primarily so that she can access/contribute to a shared calendar to balance our work commitments centrally. I've started paying for her iTunes purchases which doesn't work.

Therefore I presume that given the payment set-up, family sharing isn't a usable solution. That however then makes me ask, how can we establish the same calendar sharing process on apple devices?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 27, 2016 9:39 AM in response to AndyTheAnimal

If the two of you are attempting to share an iCloud calendar and are using different Apple IDs, then one of you would need to invite the other to share the calendar, and provide whatever permissions that you wish. From the iCloud calendar part of the iCloud.com page, you can click on your calendar which provides you a dialog box to invite a person to share the calendar and also what privileges you give them, either view only, or view and edit.

Can you have family sharing without shared payment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.