Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Thunderbolt Display Extremely Dim

I Have an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27in) with an extremely dim screen. It is impossible to see anything on the display with just the naked eye. However, if I shine a strong LED flashlight on the thunderbolt display, then I can vaguely see my computer screen on the thunderbolt display. I have auto-adjust brightness off and the brightness set on 100 percent. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the LCD inside of the monitor and it initially turned on at full brightness. However, once again, it became extremely dim after reassembly. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be? Thanks!

Thunderbolt Display-OTHER

Posted on Jul 10, 2016 2:52 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2016 3:29 PM in response to SchneiderMatt

Yes I do, buy another display!! 😁

You did not provide a Mac Computer model you're using so I'm just going to slam you with Apple Support links.

Seriously now. Plug up your Display into your Mac. Then do an SMC ResetReset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Do a NVRAM ResetHow to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

When holding [command] [option] [P] [R] during NVRAM reset, I have had success by letting the cycle continue 3 times or no more than 4 with the Thunderbolt Display. I don't know why, but, it works. I think any more cycles is just over kill and is not doing anything but wasting time. Let the Auto Brightness feature work. 100% will overheat your display.

HINT: At sundown with the room lights off and Auto Adjust ON, adjust brightness to a comfortable viewing level. Turn room lights on and Auto adjust does it's thing.

Cheers!!

Apple Thunderbolt Display Extremely Dim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.