Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad air in recovery mode and black screen

Hello all,

I need a tip from you, I have an Ipad air (4,2 cellular) that is in recovery mode , it can be detected when I plugged by USB in my computer using iTunes. The iPad is in recovery mode and the screen remains black even if I try reset holding the button Start(On/ff) and the Home button.

attempts that failed:

1. Reset holding buttons Start and Home;
  2. Recovery using iTunes

When I've tried recovery by iTunes, the process of downloading, extracting and Ipad comunication goes very well, the apple icon appear at the screen but almost the end of recovery the iPad turns off and the process is lost.

I saw some guys triing recovery by Tiny Umbruella but I dont know how to procedure.

obs.: sorry by the english cause I'm a Brazilian guy with little knowledge in this language

iPad Air, iOS 9.2, null

Posted on Jul 13, 2016 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2016 6:21 AM

Hi, if you iPhone stuck in recovery mode follow these instructions:

1. Hold both the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons down for a minimum of 10 seconds, or until the device turns off.

2. Push the Sleep/Wake button again to turn on your iPhone. If your iPhone is not in Recovery Mode, the problem is resolved. If it still sticks, continue to step 3.

3. Launch iTunes and connect the iPhone to your computer. You should see a notification in iTunes says that iTunes has detected an iPhone in Recovery Mode. Click Ok.

4. Click the device icon on the left side of the iTunes window, and select the "Summary" tab.

5. Click the "Restore" button.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2016 6:21 AM in response to Community User

Hi, if you iPhone stuck in recovery mode follow these instructions:

1. Hold both the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons down for a minimum of 10 seconds, or until the device turns off.

2. Push the Sleep/Wake button again to turn on your iPhone. If your iPhone is not in Recovery Mode, the problem is resolved. If it still sticks, continue to step 3.

3. Launch iTunes and connect the iPhone to your computer. You should see a notification in iTunes says that iTunes has detected an iPhone in Recovery Mode. Click Ok.

4. Click the device icon on the left side of the iTunes window, and select the "Summary" tab.

5. Click the "Restore" button.

Feb 4, 2017 9:27 PM in response to Community User

I have exactly the same problem, Ipad Air wifi.

I went as far as opening the ipad, disconnect the battery and reconnect a day later, it made no difference.

The battery is fully charge, reading 4.2 volt even though rated at 3.74 volts. The charging port works, as I had discharged the battery and charge it again.

Itunes's log show the restore is successful everytime, I had done restore 10.2 and 10.2.1 ios countless times.

I had tried all tricks, and various combinations of presses. Third party software like tenor and the like are useless, waste of money.

Really disappointing ...

Feb 4, 2017 9:30 PM in response to Community User

Are you leaving the iPad plugged in through the full recovery mode? I assume yes.

Only other thing I could recommend for you is DrFone.Wondershare.net or the program iExplorer. The latter will at least let you access the folders on your devices and export data. The former may claim it can restore it, but I'm not sure. I've used iExplorer successfully for a long time. It's a good third party program.

-Andrew

Feb 9, 2017 11:34 PM in response to Schwigs

Yes I did leave the ipad plugged in all along during the recovery.

At this stage, data recovery is not an issue, and I wouldn't have taken an invasive like opening up the ipad and disconnect the battery, if I can get away using the software you mentioned.

I went to the genius bar in Sydney this afternoon, all they do is try to do recovery, when that failed, they offer me to buy an iPad air (same model - 1st gen) for about $360 - they aren't that genius after all in terms of knowing how to fix problems - certainly they'll take the easiest way out of the problem - the easy way out doesn't result in stability the system and enhancement of products in the long run - because it means that they never attempted to resolve reported problems, it just increases the number of people queuing at the apple store.

Jul 13, 2016 7:32 AM in response to D.Cohen

Thank Cohen for your tips.

Yesterday I've tried this 5 steps, but in the final of the process , when the Ipad is ending the restore, the iPad turns off and on iTunes appears the following message "iTunes has detected an Ipad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes"

And this loop happens every time I try to restore.

Jul 22, 2016 8:28 AM in response to Demo

The question is that my iPad goes to DFU mode correctly , after that I start the restore process and at the end, as you can see in the picture above, occurs an restart and it goes to black screen again and iTunes says that an iPad was detected in restore mode.

I'm trying the restore process by iTunes in Windows . Are there any other way?

Aug 3, 2016 10:18 AM in response to Demo

At apple store (service), they tried to restore too but weren't able to restore . Unfortunately my option is buy another one.

😢

Aug 11, 2016 12:10 PM in response to Community User

Hi All, as you know follow below the summary of my issue

I Had some troubles with my iPad Air 4,2 Cellular that is becoming a headache. My iPad has only 1,5 years of usage and never fell down. The iPad is in recovery mode and black screen, an issue that doesn’t have solution as said by service.

Service ID Number Brazil: 1186909214

Symptom Noticed: The iPad is in recovery mode , it can be detected when I plugged by USB in my computer using iTunes. The iPad is in recovery mode and the screen remains black even if I try reset holding the button Start(On/ff) and the Home button.

Attempts that failed:

1. 1. Reset holding buttons ON/OFF and Home;
  2. 2. Recovery using iTunes

When I've tried recovery by iTunes, the process of downloading, extracting and iPad communication goes very well, the apple icon appear at the screen but almost the end of recovery the iPad turns off and the process is lost. BLACK SCREEN AGAIN

Feedback From Apple

1. Local Service said Apple: it’s impossible solve this issue and the option is buy another one (~R$ 2100)
  2. Support center Apple said: it’s impossible solve this issue and the option is buy another one (~R$ 1600)
  3. Engineering Apple said: It’s not a software issue, It’s a hardware issue and doesn’t have solution

My claims is about:

1. 1. The issue was too initial to consider buy another one, only 1,5 years of usage. I don’t trust that this can happen again with the new iPad.
  2. 2. What is the root cause?
  3. 3. Why not get my iPad and make a diagnosis about the issue?
  4. 4. Is it a common issue?
  5. 5. What is the quality assessment?
  6. 6. What is the engineering assessment?

I like too much of Apple devices, my experience is always the best, but this issue is letting me down. I’d like your help to creates a better understanding of the total issues affecting the iPad, to improve the devices and doesn’t happen again with the clients. I don’t want to be part of less than 1% of people that don’t like and recommend Apple.

Thanks for your support,

Ipad air in recovery mode and black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.