Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil and Battery life

I'm just curious on how Apple Pencil uses its battery. Although it is quick to charge when connected to the Lightning connector, Sometimes, I don't use my pencil for a day or two and when I go to use it, the battery is low. What could cause the pencil to lose its charge over 24-48 hours of non-use?

Thanks in advance.

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jul 13, 2016 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2016 3:10 PM

No need to shut down Blutooth. Just go to blutooth under settings click the red I next to pencil and click forget this.

Then just pair again as ususal when you wan to use again. You will have to click pair on a window that pops up tho.

4 replies

Jun 15, 2017 8:05 AM in response to cody1689lbc

The apple pencil is never off at all. When you unpair it, the pencil does go into a low power sleep type mode. But it is still on (it is always on - there is no mechanism to turn it off) so that it can be instantly re-paired as needed.

In unpaired, low power mode, it should be able to go at least a week or even two (at least when new) without running the battery fully down. I have gone several days without using it, and just charge it quickly again when I need it.

Oct 8, 2016 5:52 AM in response to iLaw

Once you've paired a Pencil with the iPad Pro, the battery will always be use by the Pencil, even if you're not using the Pencil.... simply because the Pencil is always communicating with your device throughout the day....The only way to stop this is to turn the Pencil "off" again, which means that you have to turn off Bluetooth on the iPad Pro again. You need to go to settings to do this. Of course this also means that when you turn off your Bluetooth, it will also effectively remove the Apple Pencil from your iPad which will then put your Pencil to "sleep."

OF course when you need to use your pencil again you will have to go through the procedure of plugging it in again, the same way you did at the beginning. Hope this helps......

Apple Pencil and Battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.