Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move Photos Out of Camera Roll?

I have noticed that when I try to organize my image collection, and place images in different albums, they do not move out of my Camera Roll, but they are copied to the album selected. I want to move these photos, not copy them, how is this done?

Thanks

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jul 13, 2016 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2017 7:03 PM

I totally understand what you are saying. It's so frustrating! I recently switched to iPhone from Samsung. With the Samsung phone, you could do exactly what you are asking. Move photos from your camera roll, into an album, and the photos would remove themselves from the camera roll. I miss that!!!

66 replies

Jun 22, 2017 2:10 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes, but in Gmail, when you label, it doesn't show up any more in the "inbox" it appears only under the label you want it. On the iOS , you have the photos appear in the All Photos, and in the Album you assigned it to... what's the point of this??? Why do I need to SEE the photos in both "places"???? I don't care if they "are" in the same place fisically, I care about the fact that I am unable to manage 10,000 photos like this.

Imagine that I have only 2 albums, each with 5,000 photos, how in the name of God will I know which 5,000 photos I have assigned to which album... obviously I have to review all 5,000 photos in an album to know which is and which isn't !!! And even like this I would't be able to remember 5,000 photos just on the fly. It is absolutely counterintuitive to do this! Those devices are supposed to give us the liberty to do this, not take it from us!

It's like giving you a real album with 10,000 photos, and telling you that you can't move the photos, they have always to stay there like they are. And on that day that you want to find a photo, you have to go over all those 10,000 photos!!!

And no, I don't want my photos ordered by date!

iOS is supposed to give us by all means both options so we can chose how we want to do it. It's my device, those are my photos!

It's not "theyPhone" it's "iPhone"

Jan 18, 2017 11:42 AM in response to LeoLoewe

I have 20,000 photos on my iPad and I need to get them into folders on my iPad and out of camera roll. I can not simply sync or move them to the computer. I absolutely hate going through iTunes and besides that's not helpful. I can't edit them once I do that, I can't add to the folder, or delete from the folder without resyncing. It's a really bad system. The suggestions being given here are clearly by people who can't comprehend what we (me and the other 2 people I see commenting here) are trying to do. Several other people I have asked on Facebook who are Apple lovers also can't understand it, which is very frustrating and just odd.

I am about to download the app that you recommended. I have searched in the past for one, and none did what they said they would do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Thx.

Feb 19, 2017 3:34 PM in response to Demo

True it is a feature of the iPhone. To compare to a full blown computer is not the right path though unless all you have ever used is an iPhone. For those of us that have used other phones and see different functionality we see that the iPhone is lacking in many areas. The iPhone does have its perks but from a techy point of view the iPhone is behind and unless something changes I can see the iPhone slowly to lose market share. Basically what I saying is that the Samsung note 5 allowed me to move my pictures and not create shortcuts. This allowed for stronger organization of pictures

Jun 12, 2017 5:13 PM in response to Amsena

thanks for bringing up this question. I am new to iOS and this certainly is one feature which made my decision to jump to iphone regrettable. I am used to organizing my photos but now I am having a headace doing so with the iOS. I hope they reconsider this problem and incorporate it to their succeeding updates. Seriously, I can't be that a task as simple as this was not even considered when they made this phone. A really big headache. As my question was satisfied in this forum alone, I don't think I will check anymore with other because apparently this is a software deficiency that Apple should look into. I will just wait until then. What a messy camera roll I have.

Oct 5, 2017 11:28 AM in response to Studmei

I have 22 phones under my business plan. I don’t even keep track of the devices. We intensively use screenshots and photos to document progress/quality on projects. Unless iOS gives me better control over organizing photo collections I will be spending $10,000 or more on Android hardware come February.

“iOS isn’t supposed to work like Android, you shouldn’t expect it to.”

Apple products are more expensive. The iPhone8/X only increases the price margin between Android and Apple products further. I expect, at the very least, a comparable amount of flexibility and customization in such an increasingly vital area for businesses.

Jul 13, 2016 11:46 AM in response to Amsena

You can not move them out of the camera roll and move them into albums. It doesn't work that way. The albums that you create for organization contain pointers to the photos and if you were able to move them out of the camera roll, they would disappear from the albums.

You could import all of the photos to your computer, delete the photos from the phone, create albums on the computer, sync the photos organized into albums back to the device. But you can not do all that you want to do on the phone itself.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

May 26, 2017 11:30 AM in response to abdulr264

abdulr264 wrote:

If Apple cannot provide different albums for pics from different apps, then atleast Apple should create a album where only camera pics gets stored. Camera roll album can still have all the mixture of pics from all the apps(including camera)

This feature should not be difficult. Even Basic phones have this.

Feel free to let Apple know what you would like to see:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jun 24, 2017 9:13 PM in response to Logixor

It's my device, those are my photos!

Not at all. iOS is not "supposed" to do anything specific at all. iOS does what its developer programs it to do.

if you wish to have that level of control, become a developer and create an app that suits your needs.

To all those who come here to read this conversation:

iOS is *NOT* open source and fully configurable by any and all.

If you feel there are gaps or shortcomings in iOS and its apps, tell Apple via the only they want feedback.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

This community is not that place.

Mar 19, 2017 10:19 AM in response to karenfrommarch

There are a number of apps that will archive your photos in cloud storage and allow you to delete them from the phone, yet still preserve them to view when you want to. I use two: upthere.com, and Google Photos. But there are plenty of others: Shutterfly, box.com, dropbox.com, etc.

Upthere will store all of your data; photos, videos, music, documents and allow you to organize and share them as desired.

Google photos will actually organize them for you, based on when and where they were taken; it will also group using facial recognition, create panoramas when you take adjacent images, show you albums of what you shot on the current date in the past, and many other neat organizing features.

Jun 22, 2017 6:02 AM in response to Logixor

Logixor wrote:

Imagine that I have only 2 albums, each with 5,000 photos, how in the name of God will I know which 5,000 photos I have assigned to which album... obviously I have to review all 5,000 photos in an album to know which is and which isn't !!! And even like this I would't be able to remember 5,000 photos just on the fly. It is absolutely counterintuitive to do this! Those devices are supposed to give us the liberty to do this, not take it from us!

I can't imagine keeping 10,000 pictures on my phone or thinking it made sense to that that as my prime repository for my photos. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Personally, I move almost none of my photos into albums. I use the iPhone's search to get pretty close to finding what I need. I don't understand way, if albums are the way you chose to organize photos, you'd use ones so huge that you couldn't look through them quickly. But, mostly, I don't really care how you chose to organize your photos. It's a highly personal decision. I can't change your mind and none of us here can change the way the iPhone works. Submit your feedback to Apple. Use a different app. Buy a different kind of phone.

Apple will continue to do what they have always done, give you the device they think you should have.

How to move Photos Out of Camera Roll?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.