Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sort column with images in numbers

Hi

I just upgraded to El Capita, increased RAM to 24 GB, and am trying to switch to Numbers 3.6.2 as MS Office 365 Excel is extremely slow now. There is a constant spinning ball.

I made a spreadsheet and added images in Column D by going to INSERT and then CHOOSE and then I picked the correct image file. I am not using Photos.

When I sort, all the columns sort except for Column D w/the images; that does not move so the appropriate info is not with the correct photo.

I would appreciate your help!

Thank you.

I am on IOS 10/11/5 and Numbers 3.6.2

imac

Posted on Jul 13, 2016 4:57 PM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2016 5:51 PM in response to alainr

Office 365 should not run too slowly on your Mac. You might want to look into why that is happening.

As for sorting in Numbers, make sure the images are actually "in" the background of each cell. Click an image you have inserted onto the sheet, command-x to cut, click a cell in a table, and command-v to paste. Once in the background of a cell, an image will follow that cell when it moves as part of a sort.

SG

Jul 13, 2016 10:34 PM in response to SGIII

Further to SG's remarks...

Insert places an image as an object on the sheet, or stacked in front of another object (in this case a table) on the sheet. Placed this way, the object (image) has no connection to the table or to any of its cells.

Paste (into a selected cell) places the image into the cell as "image fill" As such, it is part of the cell, and moves with the cell if the table is sorted.

You can also put the image in the cell as an "image fill" using the Cell Format inspector's "Image Fill" or Advanced Image Fill" menu items:

User uploaded file

These are similar to Insert, but place the image in the cell as background fill.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 14, 2016 3:18 PM in response to Barry

Barry

thank you for the explanation and screen shot. This should also fix the problem I had when printing (and not sorting) that some photos were not fully in the correct box, but were halfway out of it.

I had a question about the alternative method of pasting an image into a cell. How do you select the image file to paste? From the file directory?

Thank you again for your help!

Jul 14, 2016 11:49 PM in response to alainr

HI Alain,

Not sure which you are refering to as the "alternate" method.

To Paste an image into a cell as Image Fill:

• Select a displayed image. Copy (command-C)
  • Select the cell (one click). Paste (command-V)
  • Open the Format Inspector and make adjustments as described in the section below.

To place an image in a cell as Image Fill or Advanced Image Fill:

• Select the cell
  • Open the Format Inspector and choose Cell.
  • In the Fill section, select Image fill from the pop-up menu.
    • You will see two new pop-up menus:
    • The first lets you choose how the image will be displayed in the cell. Leave it as is for now.
    • The second is a Button, rather than a menu. The only choice is Choose...
      Click that button, then choose the image file containing the image you want to place in the cell.
  • Make adjustments, using the menu above Choose...
    • Experiment. Try each of the choices of how to display the image. Adjust the width and height of the cell to see the effect of those changes on what is displayed for each of the menu choices.
    • Pick the type of display you find best for the purpose.

Regards,

Barry

Can't sort column with images in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.