Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-Importing Photos with Image Capture

Hi folks, I don't know if I am posting this on the right forum. If not feel free to have it moved.

I have been doing some research trying to help this user and also to learn.

Import ALL photos (including photos from iTunes backup) from iphone to mac

I have a Mac and a PC but I use the PC for my main Photo Library. When I import photos from my iPhone to the PC using the import wizard, Windows 10 keeps a cache to remember the photos that have been imported previously so they don't re-import. I can post the path to the cache but there is no need, the cache is a system file called "PreviouslyAcquired.db". If I delete photos from my PC that were previously imported and then want to re-import them, I have to reset that cache (delete it) in order for the photos to import again. Otherwise the previously imported photos are ignored and only new ones show up on the import wizard.

The reason for this post is that I am wondering if OS X (Photos or Image Capture) keeps the same type of cache. I also wonder if that is the reason the OP on the thread above cannot re-import the photos that were restored from their old iPhone.

So my questions are:

1) With OS X Image Capture, can one re-import photos that were previously imported?

2) Does OS X maintain a cache similar to Windows and if so where is it located and how is it reset? I have looked on my MBP 10.11.5 but to no avail. Obviously it is not the iPod Photo Cache - that one is associated with iTunes syncs only. I also launched Image Capture but cannot see any setting to that effect.

3) Will I.C. give me the option to re-import if it has imported the same photos before? I could conduct an experiment but the bright minds here no doubt know the answers.

Any info appreciated... 🙂

Posted on Jul 13, 2016 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2016 10:16 PM

I have not found any Apple documentation on this, but when I use Image Capture to import from a device or card to a folder in the Finder, I can import the same items over and over again. There is no checking for previous imports.

Only when I import using a photo application that is maintaining a photo library (Photos, iPhoto, Aperture) the photos will be checked for duplicates on import. But even with Photos, iPhoto, Aperture I can restore deleted photos by importing again from the device, if I deleted them from the photo library.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2016 10:16 PM in response to elcpu

I have not found any Apple documentation on this, but when I use Image Capture to import from a device or card to a folder in the Finder, I can import the same items over and over again. There is no checking for previous imports.

Only when I import using a photo application that is maintaining a photo library (Photos, iPhoto, Aperture) the photos will be checked for duplicates on import. But even with Photos, iPhoto, Aperture I can restore deleted photos by importing again from the device, if I deleted them from the photo library.

Jul 14, 2016 9:48 AM in response to LarryHN

As a user of both (a MBP 10.11.5 and a Dell Laptop W10) there are features on one that are not available on the other and vice versa. IMO File Explorer on W10 is far superior to Finder. Image Capture is superior to the Import Wizard. Keyboard on the Dell is better, Trackpad in the MBP is better. W10 is a vast improvement over W7 and 8. My new Dell (i7 Skylake, Hybrid Drive, 16 GB RAM) boots in 24 seconds, about the same as the MBP even though W10 is a larger OS. My old Dell W7 took about 2 minutes.... My MBP (13") is my computer of choice for portability (I am on it now). My Dell (15.6") is the workhorse but it hardly leaves my desk... 🙂

Re-Importing Photos with Image Capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.