Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speed Up Time machines First back up

Hi I am trying to complete Times machines first back up Basically is starting again after a corruption of the original file. Have wipe my Back up Nas and started from scratch the problem my First back up is 2.8TB its going to take weeks at the rate it is working at approx 50 gigs ad day

Needless to say there are too many potential pitfalls to keeping the mach running this long as a my main production unit some app can require a restart and bang I am back at the beginning again.

I really need to find a way to speed the whole process up just for this initial back up . I have found this site http://www.mackungfu.org/massively-speed-up-time-capsule-time-machine-backups

Massively speed up Time Machine backups

basically its saying

Open a Terminal window, which you’ll find in the Utilities folder within the Applications list, and paste in the following, typing your login password when prompted:

sudo sysctl debug.lowpri_throttle_enabled=0

This command prevents Time Machine’s backup process assuming a low CPU priority, allowing backups to complete insanely quickly. In fact, you’ll see MB and GBs tick past on the Time Capsule progress display in a second-by-second fashion (provided your Mac isn’t very busy with some other task).

can anyone comment on this is it safe to do and will it help my situation

Posted on Jul 13, 2016 5:22 PM

15 replies

Mar 13, 2017 3:25 PM in response to Graeme Armitage1

I've finally tried this while in progress of a recent backup.

I generally would want to back up weekly but it takes forever so I almost always do so every month.

Recent months back I needed files I had deleted between backups. I also had an event that was apples fault and caused all my data to be lost including some old files such as Adobe. Anyway, today was no exception with over 30 Gigs of data to back up in 30 days, it was showing 4 hours and holding. After almost 45 minutes it was barely at almost 5 Gigs, I tried this command at at first it did nothing - I then reversed it and it went even slower, then I made the command again, closed all apps, opened a cache optimizer and ran it and within a couple minutes I could see it speeding up dramatically -- at first it was 1 Gig in 35 second, then it was 10 Gigs in a a couple minutes... Long and short it finished up over 25 Gigs in 15-16 minutes.

Speed up Time Machine Backups

1. close all apps
  2. clear cache with app cache cleaner
  3. go to Terminal
  4. sudo sysctl debug.lowpri_throttle_enabled=1
  5. Enter time machine or start it from the icon
  6. After finished in Terminal enter
  7. sudo sysctl debug.lowpri_throttle_enabled=0
  8. Done.

Nov 28, 2017 7:48 AM in response to furniture77

MacOS maintains a list of folders that have changed recently, called the File System Event Store. there are two cases:

case a) If you previously backed up today or yesterday, the File System Event Store is fresh and exactly what is needed. ONLY the folders listed there have any changes. Backup can proceed at a steady pace, as no additional scanning of files is required.

case b) If you have deferred backup for several days, The File System Event Store is stale, and is not adequate to determine what has changed. So Time Machine loses it advantage over other methods and must now perform what is called a "deep traversal". It must look at the modified dates of EVERY file on your Mac, and compare that to the last copy on the existing Backup. This phase itself takes all afternoon, and is done BEFORE any files start to be copied.

What may be happening is that by putting off ANY activity of Time Machine for more than about a day, you are causing your next backup to take far, far longer than necessary.

When I first thought about using Time machine, I was convinced it would be too onerous, and would interfere. I did some research and found there were Utilities that could defer the backup for a few hours or more. Once i knew that, I was willing to give it a try, knowing I could change the backup interval if needed.

It was never too onerous. I never looked back. I never looked up those Utilities. Running Time Machine takes almost nothing out of your Mac, and does not substantially interfere with your work. (Provided you let it work often enough.)

Jul 13, 2016 6:15 PM in response to Graeme Armitage1

If you are talking to this NAS over Wi-Fi, or your Ethernet is not running at Gigabit speeds, you are making a big mistake.

The best place for your backups is on a Directly-connected drive. NAS is a separate computer, connected to your Mac, and may have problems doing a Full Restore from these Time Machine Backups.

Read the details in the Pink box on this page written by the late James Pond:

2. What can Time Machine back up, and where can it put it’s backups?

Jul 14, 2016 1:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks For the link But yes i have Gigabyte network the switches and Hub are 10/1000 and transfers are very fast just not on time machine I don't have Wifi Turned on on my desktop machines And previously Time machine worked well on this set up and i have had to complete several full restores to an older Mac pro so i don't think the system is at fault just the size of my backup and the time it takes for the original backup (When i started with this system my Total backup was just over a 1.3TB now at 2.8TB it is becoming a problem) hence my original question about the Terminal Hack

Alternatively should i look at reducing the amount of files that are to be backup by excluding areas so once the initial backup is complete I can the start removing directories from the exclusion set up in Time Machines preferences. Not ideal but it might get me there in the end.

Jul 14, 2016 1:48 AM in response to Graeme Armitage1

This seems a valid solution to your problem and I see it doing no harm, I would do it the following way.

1. Do the terminal command at the end of the day
  2. Start the initial Time Machine backup
  3. Leave it running over night
  4. Assuming it has finished successfully reboot the following morning which will undo this command

I would totally agree that doing at least the initial i.e. big Time Machine backup over WiFi is a very bad thing to try. Even if normally you use WiFi do the first one via Gigabit Ethernet. I would even turn off WiFi temporarily on your Mac.

Jul 14, 2016 4:35 AM in response to Graeme Armitage1

You can try the command during your current backup, I believe it should still take effect. You can also stop the current backup, do the command and then start the backup again. The resumed backup should carry on from the point it reached although this way it will first have to redo the analysing phase.

One thing I remember is that anti-virus software can cause Time Machine to be much, much slower. This is because Time Machine accesses each file multiple times and each time a file is accessed it can trigger a virus scan of that file. It maybe such software is smarter these days but I remember Sophos used to cause a massive slow down of Time Machine.

Jul 14, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Graeme Armitage1

Time Machine's Biggest "claim-to-fame" is that it is the backup that "gets done" -- slowly, in the background, without interrupting your foreground work. I do not see this temporary priority change for the first Backup as any sort of an issue, provided, as John Lockwood suggests, you undo it at the end of the initial full backup. (The author of that article says the change is temporary, and a Restart removes it.)

If you are going to always run it at higher priority, Time Machine will get in your way. In that case, you may be better served by a different backup method, BUT: as always, the best backup method is the one that actually gets done. Having the perfect backup method, but that method is so onerous that the latest backup is a month old, does not help anybody.

Another interesting feature: If you give Time Machine a second drive, it will automatically do every-other backup to every-other drive, creating two independent Backup sets on two different drives.

Jul 15, 2016 2:20 AM in response to Graeme Armitage1

Just quick update and thank you to all those who responded

I have enable the Hack whilst the back up was running It seems to work and a significant increase in speed has occurred. Where i was backing up approx 52 GB a day I am mow looking at 130 GB a day its still going to take a while but every little helps and is more likely to succeed in creating a my initial back up. If It fails this time i will omit large parts of my system and try to backup in smaller section thanks again for your help

Speed Up Time machines First back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.