Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes app making random text into links

Random text is (spontaneously) being turned into links (see screenshot) in the Notes app.

User uploaded file

Further info

1. I sometimes delete links (individually), but other links reappear later.
  2. Some links make sense (e.g., turning a url into a link, turning a date into a link, etc.)
  3. Of the links that do not make sense: they do not correspond to the text that was turned into a link. The link usually refers to a site related to something 10-30 lines above or below it. E.g., "ective and Impulsive Determinants of Human B" links to the site for "Analytic cognitive style, not delusional ideation, predicts data gathering in a large beads task study" (which appears 27 lines below that link).

How I am using Notes

I write and paste (unformatted) text in the Notes app on Mac and iOS.

I sync the notes between my Macbook Air and iPhone.

Other info

OSX 10.11.5

iOS 9.3.2

Any guidance or insight will be appreciated!

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jul 14, 2016 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2017 6:25 AM

UPDATES & RECAP

I. The "Solved" indicator is an error. That comment is not a solution (although it's helpful). If anyone knows how to get rid of that, let me know.

II. What we know so far:

• iWork contacted me to ask for more info on July 19, 2016. They asked, "Does the linked text occur with all text that is pasted? Or only with text from a specific source? Could you send us an example source document that creates linked text in Notes? If the text comes from a website, the URL to the site would be sufficient." I sent them that information. I have not heard back since.
  • It's not a bug that can be fixed with a fresh OS. See here.
  • The problem can arise without pasting text. See here.
  • The most recent reproduction of the problem seems to be around April 24th, 2017.

III. There are three proposed hypotheses/factors:

1. The problem is an iOS issue: "The problem seems to be isolated to the iOS app. I just performed a test by creating a new note in the iOS app on my iPhone and added a bunch of links. There appeared a section of that note that became a link (the letters are colored gold like the other links). It has the same target as another link in the same note. If I try to delete the letters that are now highlighted gold, they go away until I type something in their place which also becomes a link. I went to the Notes app on my iMac and the new note had synced. All the standard links appeared but the link that is the text in the IOS app is not a link in the Mac Notes app." (see here).
  2. The problem is a length-of-note issue: "By the way, I use the Notes app all the time as outlines for presentations I give. I add many links. The problem with random note text become a link seems to not show up until I have quite a bit of text in the note. It happens as I continue creating my outline. I think it's possible that the problem is an issue of note size or complexity." (here)
  3. The problem is an unintended consequence of fixing a prior hyperlink issue in the Notes app. See here.

IV. To test some of these hypotheses, I just tried to reproduce the problem in a 16,000+ word note by doing some copying and pasting on both (the latest versions of) iOS and macOS. Just a few minutes after the test, the problem has not manifested.

V. REQUEST: if you still have this problem, please indicate whether you do the following by simply including a list of the letters below that apply to your situation (so we can test our hypotheses):

(a) I only type text into notes. I do not paste text into notes.

(b) I paste text into notes, but only on iOS.

(c) I paste text into notes, but only on MacOS.

(d) My notes are longer than 1000 words (Paste the note into Pages to see how many words there are in the note).

(e) The problem occurs in notes that I have never entered a URL into.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2017 6:25 AM in response to xser

UPDATES & RECAP

I. The "Solved" indicator is an error. That comment is not a solution (although it's helpful). If anyone knows how to get rid of that, let me know.

II. What we know so far:

• iWork contacted me to ask for more info on July 19, 2016. They asked, "Does the linked text occur with all text that is pasted? Or only with text from a specific source? Could you send us an example source document that creates linked text in Notes? If the text comes from a website, the URL to the site would be sufficient." I sent them that information. I have not heard back since.
  • It's not a bug that can be fixed with a fresh OS. See here.
  • The problem can arise without pasting text. See here.
  • The most recent reproduction of the problem seems to be around April 24th, 2017.

III. There are three proposed hypotheses/factors:

1. The problem is an iOS issue: "The problem seems to be isolated to the iOS app. I just performed a test by creating a new note in the iOS app on my iPhone and added a bunch of links. There appeared a section of that note that became a link (the letters are colored gold like the other links). It has the same target as another link in the same note. If I try to delete the letters that are now highlighted gold, they go away until I type something in their place which also becomes a link. I went to the Notes app on my iMac and the new note had synced. All the standard links appeared but the link that is the text in the IOS app is not a link in the Mac Notes app." (see here).
  2. The problem is a length-of-note issue: "By the way, I use the Notes app all the time as outlines for presentations I give. I add many links. The problem with random note text become a link seems to not show up until I have quite a bit of text in the note. It happens as I continue creating my outline. I think it's possible that the problem is an issue of note size or complexity." (here)
  3. The problem is an unintended consequence of fixing a prior hyperlink issue in the Notes app. See here.

IV. To test some of these hypotheses, I just tried to reproduce the problem in a 16,000+ word note by doing some copying and pasting on both (the latest versions of) iOS and macOS. Just a few minutes after the test, the problem has not manifested.

V. REQUEST: if you still have this problem, please indicate whether you do the following by simply including a list of the letters below that apply to your situation (so we can test our hypotheses):

(a) I only type text into notes. I do not paste text into notes.

(b) I paste text into notes, but only on iOS.

(c) I paste text into notes, but only on MacOS.

(d) My notes are longer than 1000 words (Paste the note into Pages to see how many words there are in the note).

(e) The problem occurs in notes that I have never entered a URL into.

Feb 11, 2017 3:29 PM in response to Ed_Hawco

Yes it doesn't require pasting. Even if you delete the sentence and retype it, the link returns! And I'm not using icloud nor syncing. It's localized to the ios app.

For example, I have a note that won't let me type the word "spectral" in a sentence without turning the word into a link to the first thing that shows on a google search, i.e., the Netflix movie - which I had never heard of and has nothing to do with the content of my note. Likewise, I have a bunch of unfixable notes with random links in them just like the example in the original post.

There are other weird bugs in the Notes app such as randomly lightened text which is subtly gray rather than black, noticable when the two are adjacent.

*** Apple? There's no place to leave feedback about the Notes app. Just shouting into the void here.

Apr 24, 2017 12:17 PM in response to xser

I'm having the same problem. I am using the Notes app on both my iPhone 6 Plus and iMac and both are syncing. The problem seems to be isolated to the iOS app. I just performed a test by creating a new note in the iOS app on my iPhone and added a bunch of links. There appeared a section of that note that became a link (the letters are colored gold like the other links). It has the same target as another link in the same note. If I try to delete the letters that are now highlighted gold, they go away until I type something in their place which also becomes a link. I went to the Notes app on my iMac and the new note had synced. All the standard links appeared but the link that is the text in the IOS app is not a link in the Mac Notes app. Again, it appears to be isolated to the iOS app. This is creating havoc with my notes. We need a solution!

Apr 24, 2017 10:38 AM in response to davidfromholladay

By the way, I use the Notes app all the time as outlines for presentations I give. I add many links. The problem with random note text become a link seems to not show up until I have quite a bit of text in the note. It happens as I continue creating my outline. I think it's possible that the problem is an issue of note size or complexity.

May 9, 2017 10:13 PM in response to xser

Any word from the iWork team? I also had a random hyperlinking note earlier this year. I deleted the note and haven't had a problem since. Maybe this is due to [length of note] hypothesis - none of my notes since have had lengthy paragraphs.

In any case I'd be reassured to know the cause of the bug, and how best to deal with it.

May 10, 2017 6:24 AM in response to BurrHawker

In my experience, the thread for which you provided a link does not apply to this problem. Nothing mentioned there is the problem I have and am still experiencing. I am almost certain this is an iOS issue. It happens to me consistently every week. I have a weekly meeting I prepare an outline for. I create it in the Notes App on my iPhone 6 Plus running the latest iOS. All my outlines include numerous hyperlinks which, when using my outline in the meeting to make my presentation, I jump to. As I create my outline and it becomes larger (more complex?), I suddenly discover this random hyperlink behavior; some text in the body of the outline has become a hyperlink. It is always a copy of a nearby, valid link. I've found that if I then go to my iMac and open the outline in the macOS Notes app, the same random text is highlighted as a hyperlink. I select all of the text in the entire note and remove all links using Command-K > Remove Link. All the hyperlinks go away. The note then syncs to my iOS app on my iPhone and I look at it there. All the hyperlinks are gone until I edit something, at which point the valid hyperlinks are restored. At this point the behavior becomes inconsistent for me. There are times when the random text hyperlinks appear again, and times when they do not. I do not know what the trigger is for that. Sometimes I have to go back to the outline in my macOS Notes app and highlight the offending text and, using Command-K again, create the text into a different link, then remove it again with Command-K. This sometimes corrects the problem in the iOS Notes app, and sometimes it doesn't. This is all weird and extremely annoying behavior. Again, I contend this is an iOS issue.

May 10, 2017 6:46 AM in response to davidfromholladay

Something else I failed to mention. When the iOS Notes app automatically recognizes something as a hyperlink, it changes the text into gold color. That is normal and good behavior. Whenever entering edit mode in the note (by tapping anywhere in the note), the gold colored text disappears and the hyperlink can then be edited until you leave edit mode (by clicking on "Done" in the upper right hand corner of the screen). The hyperlink's text is then colored gold again because the Notes app has recognized it as a hyperlink. The odd behavior, however, and which seems to be associated with the random text hyperlinking issue, is that as I continue to create my outline, I notice that when I enter edit mode the gold colored text of hyperlinks does not go away. Even in edit mode, the text remains gold colored. The link can be edited in edit mode but not properly. When I try to edit it, my edits are not gold colored but are in black. When I then leave edit mode, part of the link is gold colored and part is black. When I tap on the hyperlink, it does not jump to the correct, edited location because the link is somehow broken at that point.

Aug 16, 2017 3:52 AM in response to xser

This has been SOOOO annoying to me. I use my notes as a daily journal, one page per day, To do items, some hyperlinks. I'll go thru my daily journal, no hyperlinks and come back to that page later and it's loaded with hyperlinks that are not relevant to the text. If you click on the hyperlink it goes to a link that I may have used weeks ago. There has to be a way to stop this randomness of the APP just deciding to hyperlink and just allow the user to hyperlink when it's needed. I get Apple trying to be fluid in relating all apps together by making assumptions on hyperlinking addresses, dates, etc., but in this instance the fluidness I more of an annoyance. How can one just turn this feature off?

Jul 14, 2016 6:17 AM in response to xser

Where are you pasting this from?

My suspicion is that you are probably not pasting plain text.

Try selecting some of that text, copy, paste into a plain text application (like BBEdit, TextWrangler, or Smultron); then copy from there (this is to ensure that only plain text is on the clipboard, no formatted text) and paste into a new note.

Do you still see links cropping up?

Jul 14, 2016 6:31 AM in response to Esquared

Luis and Esquared:

(1) Thanks for your response.

(2) I am pasting with shift-alt-cmd-V. (That is what I meant by pasting "unformatted text", but now I realize that I could have been more clear).

(3) To clarify, the links to not appear right after I type or paste the text. The links often appear hours or days after I've written or shift-alt-cmd-Ved the text.

Other ideas?

Notes app making random text into links

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.