Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to stop filevault encryption?

MacBook Pro HELP !!!!

Installed OS X El Capitan, accidentally turned ON FileVault. How do you stop FileVault from running and encrypting? Currently, FileVault's encryption is stuck on "estimating time remaining..", desktop also won't respond (spinning ball). Tried "rebooting" several times, OS X won't reinstall because FileVault conversion is still in progress.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Jul 14, 2016 10:58 PM

15 replies

Jul 14, 2016 11:00 PM in response to kristinealmero

Turn off FileVault

If you no longer want to encrypt your startup disk, you can turn off FileVault:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy.
  2. Click the FileVault tab.
  3. Click the Lock User uploaded file button, then enter an administrator name and password.
  4. Click Turn Off FileVault.
  5. Restart your Mac.

After your Mac starts up, decryption of your startup disk occurs in the background as you use your Mac. This takes time, and it happens only while your Mac is awake and plugged in to AC power. You can check progress in the FileVault section of Security & Privacy preferences.

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2016 7:51 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn, I have tried this on several occasions but I keep getting an error message stating that FileVault is encrypting my system and I cannot turn off FileVault until the encryption is complete. The only thing is it's been stuck on about 33% for about 3+ days now (see below).

I've tried reinstalling OS X (El Capitan) using Recovery Mode, but again I get the error message that my system is encrypting and wait until it has completed. I've also tried using the "Repair Disc" option, again to no avail.

.User uploaded file

My laptop is just a basic laptop and I have nothing really important on there, so I've never done a backup on it. I thought about completely wiping out the disc and starting over, but I bought my MacBook Pro (13") about 4 years ago, so I've already gone through several OS X updates that I paid for, and don't feel like paying for them again.

Any suggestions?? I'm going to try doing what Appreciate recommends above, but other than that, I'm at a loss for where to go next.

Jul 24, 2016 8:06 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain, I went from what came with the laptop about 4 - 5 years ago to the one right before Yosemite, and that cost me $19.99 or something like that.

I went from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion all in one day, and to go from Leopard to Snow Leopard it cost me whatever it was at the time. But you are correct in that since then, it has not cost me anything.

Jul 24, 2016 12:10 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny and dialabrain, maybe it's because I have a mid-2010 model, but mine is EXTREMELY slow during the encrypting. Every 2nd or third word that I type in this reply is causing the spinning color wheel to pop up for a couple seconds before displaying what I typed. Extremely annoying. Apple should be a little more forthcoming in this article and not say that you can "use it as normal", because I certainly cannot..

OS X El Capitan: Encrypt the contents of your Mac with FileVault

Additionally, I did as recommended, and changed my settings so that the computer would not go to sleep. It's been 5+ hours now and the encryption status bar STILL has not moved from where it has been for the last 3 days.

Jul 24, 2016 12:41 PM in response to Jeff10ct

The process can take along time. It takes my 12" MacBook Early 2015 with a 500 GB SSD almost 24 hours to encrypt.

My guess is that you may have the stock 5400 rpm HD, depending on how much of it is used, your speeds will be slower until the job completes.

Complaining about a situation that was caused by your not paying attention to the details when you started your upgrade, is not Apple's fault.

how to stop filevault encryption?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.