Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps won't update after changing Apple ID email

Hi! I've recently changed my Apple ID email address( I had to because the previous email had been hacked), and the App Store on my iPhone 6S won't allow me to install any app updates. What should I do?

Many thanks!

Posted on Jul 15, 2016 2:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2016 5:12 AM

Thanks for your message! Yes, I've done all those things, but every time I try to update an app, the App Store requests that I introduce the password for the previous email associated with the account, but it won't recognise either the old password or the new one for the new account email address.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2016 5:12 AM in response to Demo

Thanks for your message! Yes, I've done all those things, but every time I try to update an app, the App Store requests that I introduce the password for the previous email associated with the account, but it won't recognise either the old password or the new one for the new account email address.

Jul 15, 2016 5:30 AM in response to Lalaland28

You did simply change the Apple ID, correct? You did not create a new one? Did you follow these instructions?

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Try signing out of the ID in the settings, close the App Store and force restart.

Settings>iTunes & App Store>Sign out

Close the App Store. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps. Swipe left to find the App Store and swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

Next, force resort the phone. No data is affected by this. Hold down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

Go back to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Sign In. Try an update again.

Jul 15, 2016 5:34 AM in response to Lalaland28

Is it possible that you created a brand new Apple ID instead of modifying the original Apple ID to change its name to your new email address?

If you created a brand new Apple ID, it is a separate account, so it won't be able to update apps purchased and downloaded from another account (this is true for paid app AND free apps). If you want to update an app, you would need to gain access to the original Apple ID (you can change its name like this : Change your Apple ID - Apple Support), or, if you can't, you would need to delete the app and install it again (yes, you would lose information you saved in the app unless this information is synced with an Internet account, like a game account or Facebook, for example).

Apps won't update after changing Apple ID email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.