Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade RAM on 13-inch Macbook Pro w/ Retina Display, Mid 2014.

I have a 13-inch Macbook Pro w/ Retina Display, Mid 2014 (MacbookPro11,1). I am looking to upgrade the RAM. Currently, I have 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 MHz DDR3. How much can I expand it to? How do I go about doing it? Or can I even remove the memory? One site said that after 2012, you could no longer remove RAM cards from Macbooks, but I wanted to be sure.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jul 15, 2016 2:14 PM

4 replies

Sep 1, 2016 8:13 AM in response to guitarclef

@Guitarclef

a warranty voiding soldering iron is the only way. Apple insistence on this practice is a deciding factor for many graphic artists and musicians to look at alternative portable computers from other manufactures. I replaced mine with an ASUS ROG and I'm not looking back, it utterly shreds the top of the line MBP and it costs less then the entry level one.

@Ckuan

you can order more RAM at the time of purchase, but you should expect a delay in delivery, I ordered nearly a dozen iMacs in 2015-2016 with 16GB RAM and Apple took more than a month to deliver each of these, they apparently were built to order AFTER I ordered them.

How to upgrade RAM on 13-inch Macbook Pro w/ Retina Display, Mid 2014.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.