Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sling TV streaming issues

I am having significant issues consistently streaming content on Sling TV for Apple TV 4. Sling Support is of no help, saying it's a broadband issue, but my broadband is more than enough (150/25 fiber to the home). I have no issues watching 1080p movies from iTunes, Netflix and PBS Kids app. I never have issues with those services, but Sling consistently messes up. It refuses to stream a channel, VOD doesn't always work, it buffers and pixelates. Restarting the service seems to temporarily fix it.

Is anyone else using Sling on Apple TV having these same issues and have you found a resolution?

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jul 16, 2016 6:24 AM

34 replies

Jan 5, 2017 7:44 AM in response to pdbuzz

I gave up...canceled our subscription. I still have the app installed on my Apple TVs, and I've been monitoring to see if Sling puts out any SW updates to address connectivity/QOS issues. Until then, no sense in me paying for it...it got to the point where it was literally unusable, regardless of how many reboots I did. Internet connection is fine, Netflix/Hulu continue to work fine.

Feb 22, 2017 9:56 AM in response to mgudites

I, too, upgraded from 18mbps to 60mbps and have same terrible results from Sling app. It hasn't been updated in 3 months. Clearly their app dev team doesn't know how to build a dependable Apple TV app. Don't need bells and whistles, just need it to work. After my 3 month trial ends I'm cancelling and trying a different service.

Apr 21, 2017 4:34 AM in response to ocbruin89

My primary issues with slingtv are the consistent DNS drop outs. I don't experience this issue on my iPad, but it's consistent on my appletv's. it's also Annoying you can only have 1 device using the service at a time. If my family wants to watch in another room it won't allow it. They should definitely setup like Netflix I never have any service or quality issues with Netflix. Also when your watching a program you don't want to be interupped by the app asking if your still watching sooo annoying.

Jun 25, 2017 7:29 PM in response to busenheimer

I had the same issue sort of. Every time I turned Apple TV off and went to broadcast tv and came back to Apple TV/ sling - I got a black screen. This started a few weeks ago. So I did a master reset WITHOUT a system update on the Apple TV, turn off auto updates on the Apple TV, re-installed sling tv and now sling works perfect. There is something about apples last Apple TV system update that is not compatible with the Sling TV app. Come on Apple get with the program!!! Or come on Sling get with the program!!!!

Aug 11, 2017 10:12 AM in response to KC-computerguy.com

You know what's odd about this problem? I have the same occasional issue on Apple TV, but we also use sling's air tv box in our bedroom, and that is problem free. So I don't think it is a bandwidth issue at all - rather an issue with the sling app on Apple TV. Last night we encountered problems on Apple TV, went in the bedroom, and watched the rest of the show on air tv, no issues.

Sep 15, 2017 11:54 PM in response to larealboy

Same issue here. Sling was working fine and then all of a sudden, the app won't log in. I've reinstalled it several times, and confirmed the ID and password. The Sling app on my iMac still works, and every other app on my Apple TV works, so I'm convinced the problem lies in the Apple TV Sling app.

Was there an update within the last week or so that could be the problem?

Thanks

Sling TV streaming issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.