Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages, formulas between multiple tables

I need a little help with an invoice template. I am trying to get the upper blue column to automatically sum into the lower blue cell. The upper pink column to sum into the lower cell. Then the two lower blue and pink cells sum into the yellow cell for a final total.

I'd love for all of these cells to remain as a dollar amount and that seems to be where my problem is. The formula always returns either zero or an error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jul 16, 2016 12:40 PM

8 replies

Jul 16, 2016 9:17 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

"You can not link across tables in Pages, for that you need to use Numbers."

Seems to work fine here. Three separate tables. Formulas on Tables 1 and 2 reference only cells on their own table.

Formulas on Table 3 total amounts on Table 1 and on Table 2.

User uploaded file

Formulas:

Table 1:: D2, filled down to D5: =B2×C2

Table 2::E2, filled down to E4: =Mileage×Rate

Expressed using addresses rather than column labels: =BxC

Table 3::B2: =SUM(Table 1::Amount)

Table 3::B3: =SUM(Table 2::Amount)

Table 3::B4: =SUM(B1:B2)

To keep the illustration simple, I haven't taken the step of rounding each result to two decimal places, or of formatting the money results as currency.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 16, 2016 7:36 PM in response to calforhelp

User uploaded file

You cannot multiple a Rate/hr. text field times a number field, so fixed Table 1::C2:C5 to be numeric. So set the formula as follows, and dragged the yellow grip from Table 1::D2 down to D5.

User uploaded file

Same issue with table 2 where you are attempting to multiply a text mileage field times a numeric miles. Made mileage rate column numeric.

User uploaded file

The hours Line Totals formula is:

User uploaded file

Mileage formula:

User uploaded file

And Totals:

User uploaded file

Jul 17, 2016 1:42 PM in response to VikingOSX

One can perform intra-table references in Pages '09. Observe table 3 referencing the sum of Line Totals for Hours from Table 1, and the sum of Extension for Mileage from Table 2. The key to this capability is using unique table headers on those tables (columns) that you wish to reference from another table.

User uploaded file

In Pages '09 v4.3, one cannot reference another table cell range as table 1::D2:D4 to get the Line Totals for Hours. Simply reference the table column heading name. And it is the same for Mileage too.

Hours

User uploaded file

Mileage

User uploaded file

Pages, formulas between multiple tables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.